IGNORED

Time to sell my Z. What's she worth?

FastWoman

True, there are always photos.  However, I've seen photos where the lighting was angled (purposefully?) so as not to accentuate the rust bubbles.  You have to wonder why people do this.  I would prefer people see the car they expect to see.  Otherwise it's a waste of everyone's time, energy, and money.

OK, I'm off to bed for real now...  ;-)

Hi Sarah,

Sorry to hear you are selling the 280Z. I can understand your reasons, knowing a little bit about your partners situation and having gone/going though similar circumstances myself.

Me being in Europe, Ill leave it up to other fellow members to advise you on pricing. Over here the prices are much higher because of transport and importing costs.

One thing I want to say; who ever buys your car will be buying a car that has been looked after by a knowlegable Z enthusiast. I see that a little like buying a bisiness. Some businesses have little good will, some have a lot.

Good luck selling.

Chas

I owned a 91 Miata (fyi Mr K. and Mr. Matsuo also bought these when they first came out in 1990 so we are in good company).

I like the 99/2000 Miata's the best because they look ok, and handle better than the early (which says a lot) but they also have more cabin room than the early ones.

I also have an S2000 and it is much nicer than a Miata for creature comforts plus it has the extra room.  The engine is one of the best in the world with one of the highest HP/litre ratios. It was developed by the Honda F1 engineers (not the current crop...poor Alonso). The power of the S2000 is what makes in nicer than the Miata... however I think the 99/2000 Miata handles better... maybe due to less weight. The S2000 has a great 6 speed transmission and LSD too. It is built to be driven hard and Honda reliability.  They all come with leather interiors and 6sp manual transmissions.

You can now get a nice S2000 for ~ $10,000. 

I think you would like the electric roof and quieter top-down driving. (oil change and valve adjustments are EZ)

btw this is "Blue"  I changed my handle recently.

Edited by 240260280

Hey Chas!  Yes, you and I both know.  My partner's situation is currently good, but her needs/wants/desires are my first priority.  If the Miata is what gives her joy, that gives me joy too.  I appreciate your kind words.  Yes, I do care very much about my Z, and everything I've done is with an eye towards the car's longevity (e.g. my obsessive use of stainless hardware, soldered wiring, contact grease, etc.  I've also largely avoided making new screw holes.  For instance, my HEI ignition module is mounted where the old distributor pickup junction block was located, and the junction block is lovingly stored in a box, along with the old ignition module, which works, but not well.  When I look back to the time when I owned my first 280Z, in the 1980's, I'm a tiny bit disturbed that I threw out a lot of somewhat worn parts that I would have loved to have back today!

• Like 1

Hey Blue!  Good to see you here!  I was wondering what had happened to you the last time I visited the list.  Now I know!  ;-)

The S2000 does sound like a great car, but your interests and mine are a bit different.  What really makes me weak in the knees for the Z is not performance related.  It's the drop-dead gorgeous lines from an era gone by.  (I clearly remember where I was the first time I saw one as a teenager, and I can't say that about more than a few cars.)   It's the dash with all the instruments recessed in deep buckets.  And most of all, it's the engine.  There is something mathematically poetic to me about the geometry of an inline 6.  That row of 12 rockers under the valve cover is gorgeous, and adjusting her valves is truly a pleasure.  There's also something sort of cool about looking down through the engine compartment and seeing the road.  I don't know why.  It's certainly a dated aspect of automotive design, but I like it.  And I also actually seeing the engine, and not plastic covers.  The Z has been surpassed in performance by many cars, but I don't think it will ever be surpassed in style or karma.

I have to say, though, that I did have a brief fling with a Dakar Yellow BMW Z3 3.0i, prior to purchasing my second 280Z.  Beyond its irresistible styling, that engine sort of sang to me too.  It had an inline 6 with VVT.  It also had a modern cross-flow 24V head, so it could crank out some serious hp.  (Sadly, that performance aspect makes the aesthetics of the machinery a bit less "cool" to me.)  The Z3 did have a few fatal flaws, though.  The first was that the body was not as strongly designed as the engine, and the structure would eventually fail from metal fatigue.  The second was that parts were obscenely expensive.  The third was that it had a level of complexity that would not be sustainable in the long term, even though required by law, such as DSC and ABS.  So I decided the car would probably not be a classis, or at least one that I could afford.  Moving from that car to a Z was IMO a good decision.

Edited by FastWoman

Good to see you too, Zedyone!  May the torque be with you!  :-D  I appreciate the well wishes.  Our lives are pretty chaotic right now, but everything is working out mostly good.  We're starting to see some light at the end of a few tunnels.

• Like 1

Sarah. The really big money for Z cars is in Canada. We are paying premium prices for them because almost none of them lasted through our Winters. Try advertising in the Toronto and Montreal areas. I think you'l be pleasantly surprised by the amount you can get in Canada. I'm on the West Coast, and we think nothing of importing Z cars from as far as Texas. I would also advertise it in BC and Alberta Canada. 

Only issue with your car is the rust on the back T/Gate area. That will knock the price down some. Still, I think you could easily get $7,500 to $8,000 USD from Canada with your car. Without that rust you probably could easily get $8,000 to $9,000 USD from Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver areas. 

Hey, Chickenman!  Great to see you!  :-)

Pretty healthy market up there!  Maybe I could deliver the car personally and take a little vacation, perhaps to Lake Ontario.

How does the import process usually go?  Are there shippers that handle this sort of thing?

Buyer usually arranges and pays for all shipping. Shipping company will have some documents for you to fill out, but the buyer is the one who deals with most of the Paperwork. Electronic money transfer from Buyers bank to yours is the safest way. Do not use anything like Western Union or PayPal. Let your Bank handle the money transfer.

There are a few scams out there involving buyers trying get you to send them money Via Western Union or PayPal. Usually buyer tries to bill you for an " Overpayment" to shipper or something. You send them the extra money and you never here from them again. So only deal with direct Bank to Bank transfers and NEVER send any money to buyer. 

You get all the money transferred directly into your Bank account. Transport truck shows up at your doorstep and THEN you hand the Transport the car and registration.

Really healthy market up here. Vintage cars are going for crazy prices. Big Datsun presence in BC, particularly the Metro Vancouver area.

Here's a link to pictures of our 2016 All Japanese Car meet in North Vancouver. Over 200 entries. Next year they're looking for  300 at a bigger Venue. Pictures start on Page #6 and continue. That's my Copper 280Z on the first page:

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28977&start=75

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/reviews/classics/collecting-classic-japanese-cars-on-the-rise-as-jaguars-ferraris-become-unaffortable/article31741762/

Edited by Chickenman

Looking sharp!  I like your copper Z.

I'm used to thinking of trading cash for signed-over title.  How are these transactions conducted over long distances?  Is it done with a contract promising delivery of title when money is received?  Then when money is received, and title is signed over and mailed?  I have to say this is an interesting possibility.