IGNORED

On the hunt for a Datsun Competition headrest

v12horse

Hello Everyone,

I have had this seat for over a decade and I have finally decided to install it in my car.  The seat has been transported and stored in five different places I have lived in over the last 10+ years.   It is a beautiful seat and it isn't doing any good sitting in my storage closet.  When I bought the seat it was without a headrest and this is the piece I seek.  I did purchase  a set of headrests years ago thinking they were the proper headrests, but they are not.  If anyone can help me get one original Datsun Competition headrest or an accurate replica I would greatly appreciate it. 

If you have a use for the headrests I have, they are yours.  The attached pictures are of my seat and the pair of headrests I bought years ago.  Can anyone identify what seat these headrests would go to?  There is a Nissan hamburger on the back lower right corner of both headrests. 

Sincerely,

Ben

IMG_4155.JPG

IMG_4156.JPG

IMG_4157.JPG

IMG_4159.JPG

Hello Ben,

The pictured headrests are C10-series Skyline items. You can modify them to fit the Datsun Compe seat (by cutting off part of the metal stem and welding on a new - longer - section) but you can buy an acceptable replica/substitute for the original Datsun Compe style headrest from Kameari Engine Works in Japan. You can buy direct from Kameari in Japan by mail order.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Alan,

Thanks again for sending me to Kameari Engine Works.  I corresponded with Shigeo Mori and he was a pleasure to work with.  I only wish I could speak and read Japanese and I have not yet written this quest off, but I need a plan...  The headrest arrived today and the bucket seat will be installed in the next few months.  Slowly my car is coming together and it is so exciting.

With the headrest came a beautiful Kameari catalog.  There is a lot for me to learn about the history of Kameari and I told Mori that I plan to visit him and his shop one day.  Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Ben

IMG_4347.JPG

IMG_4349.JPG

IMG_4351.JPG

Edited by v12horse
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

I am trying to post in a way that is accurate and I encourage anyone to correct and/or add to what I have to say.  

I took the car on a proper drive after work today and everything from the snug fit of the competition bucket, the direct steering, the tight suspension, and the sound of the engine all made for such a thrill.  Speaking of the Datsun Competition bucket seat; I bought it a number of ago from a guy that had it in a 1800sss Bluebird that was newly imported at the time.  The 510 Bluebird coupe has a swept back roof varying from 510 sedan (2 and 4 door) with the large greenhouse type roof.  They are both beautiful cars just different.  I had always intended to install the seat in my 260Z and it took a lot more time than I would have ever imagined, but now its getting used and squished by my big American body.  I will emphasize that it is quite snug, but not uncomfortable.  The headrest is a modern replica from Kameari (Thanks Alan T. for the lead.)  I feel even more connected with the car and the road while in that seat.  It is a bit of a chore getting out as I have to put my hand on the sill, arch my left tip toe to the ground, and then lift myself up.  The steering wheel is an original Datsun Competition piece and it was sourced by a very generous member here many years ago whom I am still very gracious for (I hope we can meet one day).  The Datsun Competition 'Rally' shift knob is a piece that I saw on Yahoo Japan Auction (again many years ago) and it is a reissue of the the original that was made by Nissan for the 15th (?)anniversary of NISMO.  I believe they made the steering wheels and bucket seats for those reissues as well.  I would never have thought I would have this set of interior items, but over time I was able to gather the pieces to complete the ensemble.  It took a lot of research, some luck, and members of this forum to make it happen, but it was worth it and there is a little story to each piece.  I would love to learn more about these pieces and their role in competition cars.  The construction of the seat for instance is amazing.  The shell looks like fiberglass and the vinyl stretched around it is done to a very high standard.   There had to have been a lot of handy work done to make it.  My understanding of the 'bucket' seat is that it was Nissan's generic racing seat.  I have seen them in anything from Z's to Cherry's.  The steering wheel is similar in that it is slightly smaller in diameter than an original, a bit thicker, and not as deep as a standard wheel.  It looks similar to the steering wheels in the WORKS rally cars, but those are slightly larger in diameter.  In Japan the steering wheel is referred to as a 'handle' and slang for the Datsun Competition piece is Compe handle.    The horn button I am using is from a Fairlady Z (1970-1973).  It is almost faux pas for me to fit that button because the vast majority of enthusiasts in Japan would have a 'proper' Datsun button, but thats so common here in the states.  It is funny how that works.  The shift knob is wood (walnut? )with a metal insert.  I have always thought it had the perfect shape for a shift knob.  Someone once said it was shaped like the end of a broomstick and that's not far off the mark.   Anyways, thats all I've got for now.  

-Ben

IMG_7258.JPG

IMG_7261.JPG

Edited by v12horse
  • Like 1

Hello Jason,

I know what your saying when you talk about replicas of these seats and them looking less than ideal.  If your really are interested I do believe that Kameari (the company that I got the replica headrest from) sources the buckets as well.  I am not sure of the quality or the "look" but it is worth checking out.  I would also talk to the guys at JDM Legends, but they are stateside.  You are across the pond so I know there are resources for a nice set of Datsun Buckets (or one).  Good luck on the hunt.  If you email Kameari they will email back and you can purchase items through a paying service similar to PayPal.  

Ben

catalogue-085-2.pdf

https://jdmlegends.com