IGNORED

Size? Fuel Line Replacement

JLPurcell

I am planning to replace all of the fuel lines with cloth wrapped hose. I just measured and it looks like two sizes one for all of the supply side and another size for all of the return lines. I get 5 and 7.62 mm ID does any one know these sizes for sure? Thanks in advance. Jerry 

I am planning to replace all of the fuel lines with cloth wrapped hose. I just measured and it looks like two sizes one for all of the supply side and another size for all of the return lines. I get 5 and 7.62 mm ID does any one know these sizes for sure? Thanks in advance. Jerry 

5/16? That's what I used. I was going to order cloth fuel line for a VW bug, they have metric lines in the sizes we need, but this student budget is really killing that plan... :(

http://woodworkerb.com/home/datsun-240z-rebuild/240z-fuel-tank/
  • Like 1

I have a NOS set of Vent hoses on the way for the fuel tank and just ordered 4.5mm & 7.5mm cloth wrapped fuel line for replacement of all of the other fuel lines. I have a complete set of re-plated original hose clamps to finish this project off. ;)

Ordered cloth wrapped fuel hose from PartsKlassik. 

1 hour ago, heyitsrama said:

I'm not a rich guy I use standard fuel hoses against my free will. default_sad.png

Yes, the original look when someone looks under the car or opens the hood, to some of us purist, is gratifying.:wub: The total cost of the original style hose was under $50.00 shipped. I have spent much more for much less when it comes to my car projects.<_<  Just to clarify, that is for the fuel hose not the NOS pre-formed vent hoses. Those were the proverbial "arm and a leg".:blink:

Edited by JLPurcell
clarification
  • Like 1

Jerry, are the fuel hoses you have ordered wrapped with braided cloth? Or are they more like this picture (fuel rail to front carb)?

Some of the fuel hoses on my series 1 car look like the one in this pictured here , when you look close they have a cloth wrapped (not braided) texture that seams to be rubberized as well.  They don't have the glossy smooth finish like modern hoses.

Image24.jpg

• Like 2

They are the cloth braided. The lines on the carbs, as I recollect, were as pictured with all of the other hoses being the cloth braided lines. I have found the NOS cloth braided vent lines for the fuel tank. The seller of the large diameter vent hose claims that it is the last NOS in existance. I don't know if that is true, I doubth it, but I paid like it was.:blush: The rest of the, non-preformed lines at the tank will be replaced with the cloth braded line I ordered and clamped with restored original wire clamps. I will also replace the rubber hoses on the right side of the engine with the braided fuel line. The car in the photo has more emissions equipment than my 72 had when purchased. JLP

• Like 1

Interesting, my car had the non-braided type for all of the fuel supply & return hoses.  Three of the hoses have been replaced but I still have the old ones, don't ask me why, I just have trouble tossing old parts.

The ones I had to replace (about 12 years ago) were extremely hard and some cracking was evident on the ends.  The rest are now getting quite hard so I probably won't get many more years out of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

Interesting, my car had the non-braided type for all of the fuel supply & return hoses.  Three of the hoses have been replaced but I still have the old ones, don't ask me why, I just have trouble tossing old parts.

The ones I had to replace (about 12 years ago) were extremely hard and some cracking was evident on the ends.  The rest are now getting quite hard so I probably won't get many more years out of them.

I have an attic full of parts for the same unknown reason! I can't seem to toss them away.:o