IGNORED

tail light issue

hatepotholez

so I got my turn signals to work, I was wondering if it's lighting up correctly. I thought only the bottom section(next to the reverse light) would flash not the upper and lower part.

Also it looks like I have a ground issue when my headlights and hazards are on? If so where is the ground? 

Thanks!

right turn signal headlights off.mov

Hazards headlights on.mov

https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/hazard-switch-brake-light-turn-signal-circuit-analysis/

Top & bottom should flash. 

Headlights and hazards have different ground paths.

The negative side of the headlight circuit goes from the headlights, through the high/low beam switch and connects to a ground wire at the steering column. The black wire for the ground is shown going all over the place in the wiring diagram, but it does look like it is supposed to use the wiper motor body as one of the places where it is bonded to the chassis.

[Edit] I missed two other ground points. One is going to the battery, and the other is the ground in back that I mentioned for the turn signals.

The hazard lights are grounded to the same places as the turn signals.

Edited by SteveJ
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/hazard-switch-brake-light-turn-signal-circuit-analysis/

The negative side of the headlight circuit goes from the headlights, through the high/low beam switch and connects to a ground wire at the steering column. The black wire for the ground is shown going all over the place in the wiring diagram, but it does look like it is supposed to use the wiper motor body as one of the places where it is bonded to the chassis.

[Edit] I missed two other ground points. One is going to the battery, and the other is the ground in back that I mentioned for the turn signals.

ok thank you. I do remember reading somewhere that there is a ground near the fuel tank. If I remember correctly I did screw it in, maybe the undercoating is so thick that it didn't ground. I'll check again. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/22/2017 at 11:25 AM, SteveJ said:

Getting back to this. The JDM lights have amber turn signals, is it different for that market compared to ours? 

2 hours ago, hatepotholez said:

Getting back to this. The JDM lights have amber turn signals, is it different for that market compared to ours? 

Yes.  And they wired differently.  The red lens should be a 2-filament bulb for "park" and "stop" lamps.  The amber should be single filament and used only for turn signal and flasher.

• Like 1