IGNORED

240Z/260Z/280Z as a Daily Driver?

Daniel Jestes

3 hours ago, charliekwin said:

I wouldn't. Just about any of the reasons you list above are good reasons not to: any newer car (even going back a ways) is going to be significantly safer, more comfortable and more reliable (if properly maintained). It's a fun toy, though.

Parts costs: some parts are cheap, some aren't. It mainly depends on whether Nissan or the aftermarket still makes the part or not. Last time I looked, a clutch was like $80. But if you need a lower thermostat housing (a part that was $20 until Nissan stopped making them a couple years ago), you'll need to find a used one and be prepared to fork over $100 for it.

I was thinking about this a little more and wouldn't parts like that be somewhat similar to that of a modern foreign luxury car?

As for parts for old Nissan's. There is a surprising amount still available for them. Drive-train parts are usually no issue at all. Trim and interior parts are the things that are hard to find. BTW, a little tip from your friends up North. Check out Canadian Nissan Dealerships. Our dealership Parts departments can still order direct from Japan. As I understand, USA dealerships cannot order direct from Japan. A lot of parts NLA in the USA and Canada are still available in Japan. 

BTW, I  just ordered a lower thermostat housing for a 1971 240Z. Took my local dealer only 1 week to get it from Japan ( Metro Vancouver Dealer ). 11061-P0300 housing $35.05 CDN retail. My cost $28.04 CDN... from Japan!!

The Metro Vancouver area is a hot bed for Datsun fanatics. Lots of 510's up here and Z cars are making a big come back. Many Of the Dealer ship Parts departments are run by enthusiasts, some who raced Datsun's back in the 70's and 80's. Several of the old farts are still involved in Motorsport as well as the new guys.  Most of us are starting to retire now. but we're trying to pass the history and enthusiasm on to the next generation of Partsman . Southside Nissan and Coquitlam Infinity still have some of the old time Nissan guru's employed there. I'm a ex-Nissan Partsman. 18 years at Nissan Dealerships till 1993 I worked at New West Datsun, Coquitlam Nissan ( 2 different stores ) and Southside Nissan ( Part Time ) .

• Like 1

wouldn't recommend it if you can avoid it...  especially being in Houston and driving in a city (my friend just had her car totaled on Friday in Houston traffic).  chances for a fender bender or anything are pretty high.  probably some kind of event 1-2 times a year, i don't care how good of a driver you are.

27 minutes ago, FunkytownZ said:

wouldn't recommend it if you can avoid it...  especially being in Houston and driving in a city (my friend just had her car totaled on Friday in Houston traffic).  chances for a fender bender or anything are pretty high.  probably some kind of event 1-2 times a year, i don't care how good of a driver you are.

Learned how to drive here and been doing it for 3 years with no accidents!  *knocks on wood* But seriously, the area I live in really isn't that bad and I have gotten very good at finding alternative surface streets to avoid major roads.  Not sure if its just been luck so far or what...

I was in a near death incident last year (rear ended by a semi) and if I wouldn't have been in a modern car I wouldn't have survived.

I know it sounds fun, and I'm sure you've been safe and clean driving the last few years, but there are so many idiots out on the road you can't account for

Get you a Honda Civic or Corolla for your DD or keep the Miata

A 240Z worthy of a daily driver (engine runs like a top, all the electronics work, brakes and steering and suspension are in good shape) is probably gonna run you $10k-$12k. You spend that much on a Z and you're not gonna want to expose it to the elements DAILY that is Houston, TX

Get you two cars for that price, and be safe while you do it and tinker with your new Z when your schedule allows. I think you'll enjoy your Z more when you're driving it for pleasure rather than a daily driver (which to me sounds like a beating, but then again I drive a Z71 Silverado as my daily driver)

Just my $0.02, since you came and asked

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

Since no one is going to be able to talk you out of the idea of getting a classic Z as a daily driver, I will add this.  If you are going to get one, get a 280z. You can always make it look like a 240z with skinny bumpers, 240z lower valance, and if you really want to go to the trouble you can do some fab work and fit 240z tail lights.  That said, the 280z is heavier so it rides a little better, interior is trimmed a little nicer, 5spd's were optional and easy to find, they are plentiful and they are usually half the price of a 240z in the same condition.

I will add this, if you are looking for a classic Z driving experience in a modern day car, buy a used Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ.  I have a 2013 FR-S 6-spd manual and a 1971 240z with a 5-speed and the FR-S is really a modern day classic Z.  Its light, handles super well, not the fastest thing in the world but it is rev-happy and can get to 90mph in short order (ask me how I know).  Plus you have all the modern amenities and safety of a newer car.  You say you have not been in any accidents in 3 years, good for you.  Unfortunately and you know this all too well living in Houston, your number will come up and you don't want to be in a vehicle that you may not walk away from.  Add bonuses like not smelling like gas/oil, very supportive seats, and a real trunk, the FR-S is a super fun DD.

As others have said, you need to marry that girl your with. So few tolerate the smell of nostalgia (gas & oil) that vintage and high performance cars bring.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hardway said:

Since no one is going to be able to talk you out of the idea of getting a classic Z as a daily driver, I will add this.  If you are going to get one, get a 280z. You can always make it look like a 240z with skinny bumpers, 240z lower valance, and if you really want to go to the trouble you can do some fab work and fit 240z tail lights.  That said, the 280z is heavier so it rides a little better, interior is trimmed a little nicer, 5spd's were optional and easy to find, they are plentiful and they are usually half the price of a 240z in the same condition.

I will add this, if you are looking for a classic Z driving experience in a modern day car, buy a used Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ.  I have a 2013 FR-S 6-spd manual and a 1971 240z with a 5-speed and the FR-S is really a modern day classic Z.  Its light, handles super well, not the fastest thing in the world but it is rev-happy and can get to 90mph in short order (ask me how I know).  Plus you have all the modern amenities and safety of a newer car.  You say you have not been in any accidents in 3 years, good for you.  Unfortunately and you know this all too well living in Houston, your number will come up and you don't want to be in a vehicle that you may not walk away from.  Add bonuses like not smelling like gas/oil, very supportive seats, and a real trunk, the FR-S is a super fun DD.

As others have said, you need to marry that girl your with. So few tolerate the smell of nostalgia (gas & oil) that vintage and high performance cars bring.

I appreciate your post!  And yeah I think I'm gonna have to do something about changing the title of my "girlfriend" lol.

So just out of curiosity what is your opinion of the Mazda Miata that I drive now when it comes to safety?  Only mods done is the roll bar, but like I said my head can touch the bar if I lean back already.  I have extensively looked into car safety etc and do love the FRS/BRZ (the latter being my favorite because I have always loved Subaru) but honestly an older car wouldn't be that much different would it?  I already do not have airbags...  Also if I do cage a Datsun that should (hypothetically) strengthen the car in an accident.  Obviously this is no substitute for modern safety technology.  I know I said I have not been in any accidents but like I said I have seen plenty up close and personal.

Also, is your reasoning to get a 280Z for comfort?  I don't really mind getting a 240Z vs a 260Z vs a 280Z although I prefer the classiness of the 240Z.  But fuel injection would be pretty great ngl, could swapping the engine to like a modern inline 6 like an RB20 or RB25 (NA not turbo) make life easier?  Whether I get any series S30 Z car it would very likely be slightly stripped down, with racing seats, harnesses, with bars and full suspension upgrades.  So getting a 280Z for comfort is kinda a mute point maybe? 

The overall goal would be to pick up and running/driving car with decent interior and interior, then upgrade everything else.

43 minutes ago, Daniel Jestes said:

So just out of curiosity what is your opinion of the Mazda Miata that I drive now when it comes to safety?  Only mods done is the roll bar, but like I said my head can touch the bar if I lean back already.  I have extensively looked into car safety etc and do love the FRS/BRZ (the latter being my favorite because I have always loved Subaru) but honestly an older car wouldn't be that much different would it?  I already do not have airbags...  Also if I do cage a Datsun that should (hypothetically) strengthen the car in an accident.  Obviously this is no substitute for modern safety technology.  I know I said I have not been in any accidents but like I said I have seen plenty up close and personal.

Automobile safety has come a long way in the 47  years since the early Zs appeared.  When I got mine in 1971 there were no Mom Vans, SUVs, Hummers, F150 pick ups, or other daily driver land barges.  I only had to avoid semi trucks on the freeway and delivery trucks in town to stand a chance in an accident.  Easy.

Now, a Z is considered to be a fairly small lightweight car that won't do well in an accident, unless it hits another Z.  Your Miata without airbags is in the same boat.  An acquaintance and his Miata were in an accident with a truck and the truck ended up on the Miata driver's lap.  He never thought about buying another small car.

By the time you buy a nice Z and upgrade and modify it the way you described, you'll be very close to the same money that would buy a fun to drive, relatively safe, FRS/BRZ.  It's one of those "pay your money and take your chances" choices.  My daily driver is a 4 wheel drive truck and my '71 240Z, '70 Porsche 914-6, and '63 Studebaker Avanti are for occasional use.

Dennis

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daniel Jestes said:

I appreciate your post!  And yeah I think I'm gonna have to do something about changing the title of my "girlfriend" lol.

Also, is your reasoning to get a 280Z for comfort?  I don't really mind getting a 240Z vs a 260Z vs a 280Z although I prefer the classiness of the 240Z.  But fuel injection would be pretty great ngl, could swapping the engine to like a modern inline 6 like an RB20 or RB25 (NA not turbo) make life easier?  Whether I get any series S30 Z car it would very likely be slightly stripped down, with racing seats, harnesses, with bars and full suspension upgrades.  So getting a 280Z for comfort is kinda a mute point maybe? 

The overall goal would be to pick up and running/driving car with decent interior and interior, then upgrade everything else.

The point about the 280 is that they are built a little stronger, more refined if you will, than a 240 and like Hardway mentioned, more plentiful therefore currently less money than a 240. You'll get essentially the same experience driving any Z of that era compared to todays standard including the lack of safety.   I wouldn't say 240s are classier. They are a little quicker and snappier, but they still aren't a GTR.  Neither is a 260 or a 280.  I appreciate your want.  Everybody here on this forum has it. We wallow in it on a daily basis.  I encourage you to scratch the Z itch but do it with a little forethought. Have something you can depend on and drive in rain also. The fact of the matter is that almost all of us have a modern(ish) vehicle to DD (mine is Toyota Highlander) and these Z' are a passion to us.  

Safety is one of those things that seem's to come to mind right about the time you realize you have responsibilities to someone other than yourself.  If your girlfriend gets a title change, that's something to think about.

Now if you'll excuse me, there seem's to be kids in my yard that need runnin' off…..

Edited by gwri8
  • Like 4