IGNORED

ZX harmonic balancer options

Matthew Abate

Thanks for the vendor and pricing research and the excellent documentation.  I'm dealing with the same question, so your efforts here have provided a great reference piece.

Don't forget the option of having your harmonic balancer rebuilt.  Dale Manufacturing (Salem, Oregon -- same town as as ZTherapy) offer a rebuild service at $115 (plus 2-way shipping) based on you supplying your core for them to refurbish.  There's also Damper Doctor in Redmond, CA (not sure about their pricing, but they'll send you a quote if you ask).

Thanks. I'll check it out. If I decide I want a stock balancer, I'll go that route, but right now I'm leaning toward the Powerforce ines, once I verify that they have fixed the supply chain issue that was leaving people with the ones that didn't fit. This should cost less than the rebuild.

Too bad the BHJ ones cost so much! They are easily my favorite as far as looks go. Oh well.

Not sure this adds anything to the discussion, but I once cut up a stock pulley/dampers on my lathe to reduce the number of pulleys. I was just messing around at the time, but if you were concerned with the accuracy (I wasn't), it wouldn't add a lot of time.

Hmmm this is an interesting option when you combine it with the rebuild option mentioned above...

I blew up my balancer just like Captain Obvious' picture using my Rebello motor..  I also compared the options as you did and ultimately decided to have the damper rebuilt by Dale Manufacturing.  The time I spend at high RPM on the street is minimal and Dale uses a modern rubber goo of much higher quality than stock 70's era.  Most importantly i didnt account for a damper when i had the motor built (mistake) so i didnt want to throw the balance off by using a damper with a different balance so rebuilding allowed me to keep the same part the motor was built with.  Its been probably 3,000 miles so far without a problem.  I also strongly recommend the overpriced Kameari Reinforced Crank Pulley Bolt from the Z store.