IGNORED

TrackR BlueTooth device

TomoHawk

Has anyone heard of, or used this new thing?

The TrackR device is some new kind of BlueTooth thing that allows you to find whatever it's attached to.  If you leave it somewhere in public,  it relies on other people that use the associated smartphone application to detect the device, and the location information is stored somewhere using "cloud" resources.

I don't think this would be good to use for some things, even thought they claim you could attach the little thing (about the size of a quarter coin) to most anything, and you should be able to find it.  Really?  "I dropped my keys in the marina..." 

I suppose if you had it on a phone or in your wallet, you could find it around the house, but out in public, And an hour after you lost it?  How many people have the Bluetooth service going ALL the time?  I don't, and it's a security problem, like RFID information on your credit cards..

They even tell you to hide one in the car.  If it works, it could be useful.  So if my insurance company buys me one, I'll put it in the car.

Has anyone heard of, or used this new thing?
The TrackR device is some new kind of BlueTooth thing that allows you to find whatever it's attached to.  If you leave it somewhere in public,  it relies on other people that use the associated smartphone application to detect the device, and the location information is stored somewhere using "cloud" resources.
I don't think this would be good to use for some things, even thought they claim you could attach the little thing (about the size of a quarter coin) to most anything, and you should be able to find it.  Really?  "I dropped my keys in the marina..." 
I suppose if you had it on a phone or in your wallet, you could find it around the house, but out in public, And an hour after you lost it?  How many people have the Bluetooth service going ALL the time?  I don't, and it's a security problem, like RFID information on your credit cards..
They even tell you to hide one in the car.  If it works, it could be useful.  So if my insurance company buys me one, I'll put it in the car.

The best one I've seen is "Tile" - it does use radio waves to communicate to your phone/tablet running the app - or if the item is reported as lost- any other tile user within 50Ft of your item worldwide!!

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I bought several of the TrackR devices and gave them to my kids for Xmas. I'm not impressed by it at all. Only works if the "lost" item is within the bluetooth range of your phone and you can hear the unit buzz. If you lost anything away from home you would have to depend on many users using the app in order to locate it. Not very practical IMO.

Don't they need batteries, or charging, to work?

On second thought, it it's such a good thing, for finding your phone or keys for example, why don't phones have then incorporated, or you get one in your car's remote, or your TV remote control, etc?  I'm curious if you could just use some RFID tags for the latter things (stuff around the house) and use that to locate things that you don't take out of the house.

Edited by TomoHawk

1 hour ago, TomoHawk said:

Don't they need batteries, or charging, to work?

On second thought, it it's such a good thing, for finding your phone or keys for example, why don't phones have then incorporated, or you get one in your car's remote, or your TV remote control, etc?  I'm curious if you could just use some RFID tags for the latter things (stuff around the house) and use that to locate things that you don't take out of the house.

The TrackeR site actually has a system designed that works much the way you describe.

I am learning a lot about these things, as TrackR and Tile are not the only Bluetooth location devices available. Chipolo is another one. They all seem to boast the same features: a battery  with limited life and an application that relies on "crowd GPS" and you can locate the stuff that has a tracking device attached.  I doubt having one in your vehicle will get you a "theft-deterrent" discount, as if you had an alarm or Lojack system installed.

I think I will just see if I can find out what kinds of vehicle tracking devices exist, such as Lojack.  

Edited by TomoHawk

I have a comprehensive auto alarm from Viper installed on my 280Z which uses an app (Smart Start) for your smart phone and/or computer which allows me to remotely monitor the battery charge, start the car, and locate it's position via GPS. I also integrated my door locks so the car key never approaches my paint job.

Edited by dmoralesbello

Another option is made by a company called Pocket Finder. They have small devices that you can attach to pets, cars, etc., and you can track them, their speed, and set up alerts, etc. The key-fob variety would work short term, but the vehicle one installs off the car's power (and has a back-up battery so if thieves remove the battery it still works) so you never have to worry about it. There is a monthly subscription fee, which keeps the ap active, but it might do the trick for what you're looking for. Their address is: http://pocketfinder.com/

And the device for vehicles is at: http://pocketfinder.com/gpsvehicletracker/

I'm considering one for my Z as these things are getting more and more valuable and are quite easy to steal/jump/tow, etc.