IGNORED

L24 Battles Six S20's. Guess who wins?

5 hours ago, 240260280 said:

@kats showed a 432 on the Murayama test track in Nov 1969 so that counts as lapping in my books.... next best thing to racing ?

https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=&sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fmotor-fan.jp%2Ftech%2F10005253

But nothing back to back - just a 'road' test MotorFan Road TEST

Here https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/HERITAGE/short_story/en_p36-01.html

it lists a Skyline GT-R winning (in class ?) although over 100 miles and not 150 !

June 7, 1970All Japan Fuji 300 miles Race100 mile BIIIFuji 6km11M. Hasemi25/251st (2'10"26)

Thanks Alan, can you share with us the entry grid and overall results please ?

2 hours ago, Sean Dezart said:

Here https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/HERITAGE/short_story/en_p36-01.html

it lists a Skyline GT-R winning (in class ?) although over 100 miles and not 150 !

June 7, 1970All Japan Fuji 300 miles Race100 mile BIIIFuji 6km11M. Hasemi25/251st (2'10"26)

That was one of the supporting card races, not the main event. Clue is the '100 Mile B' in the above.

As I mentioned, there were two 150 mile heats of the bill-topping 'All Japan Fuji 300 Mile' race, plus an 'A' class supporting card race of 100 miles and a 'B' class race of 100 miles. The photos you asked about show some of the entries for the main event, not the supporting card.

2 hours ago, Sean Dezart said:

Thanks Alan, can you share with us the entry grid and overall results please ?

When I get some clear free time. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Simple answer, no. Nothing official anyway. If anyone wants to include a stoplight grand prix then maybe...

C'mon, what are you hinting at here ? ? Did a or more Zs race (not track-test) in 1969 - hard to believe seeing as the car 'came out' in late October already.

Thanks and in advance for the entry list - are those a pair of R382s in front ? Fabulous cars....: https://fr.wheelsage.org/nissan/r380-series/18374/pictures/oznci5/

Ok - I understand...it's like Dune "plans within plans" ? The races were always so endurance based ? One might have expected cards of fewer laps as 100x must have been something like 3-4hrs already. No sprints ?

Born too late.....! :-)

29 minutes ago, Sean Dezart said:

C'mon, what are you hinting at here ? ? Did a or more Zs race (not track-test) in 1969 - hard to believe seeing as the car 'came out' in late October already.

I'm not hinting at anything. I'm not really interested in any race that was not sanctioned or properly organised, as it would just be subject to endless hair-splitting with no proof of anything. At least with sanctioned events - even on a local club level - you get some official record of what took place.

And late October 1969, right? End of the main racing season. I very much doubt any team or privateer actually got hold of an S30-series Z until November 1969 earliest, and it would then need to be prepared for racing. So little or no time left in 1969 and pretty much zero in terms of events to run in. Nissan themselves didn't run a car (a Works 432-R) in an officially-sanctioned race until 18th January 1970.

56 minutes ago, Sean Dezart said:

Thanks and in advance for the entry list - are those a pair of R382s in front ?

Yes. Moto KITANO in #3 and Motoharu KUROSAWA in #2:

7-6-70 Fuji 300 mile-08.jpg

1 hour ago, Sean Dezart said:

The races were always so endurance based ? One might have expected cards of fewer laps as 100x must have been something like 3-4hrs already. No sprints ?

100 laps? The A and B races at this event were 100 mile races and the heats for the main event were 150 miles each. For the period, those were relatively short races.

There were plenty of races in Japan during this period, and of all formats. The bigger events - by their nature - tended to be longer format (in keeping with endurance Sports Car racing) and 500km and 1000km races were not unusual, but there were many regional and 'Clubman' type events of shorter length that could also be described as 'sprint' format.

Edited by HS30-H

The first S30 to formally race was in Jan 1970.  The car was most likely tested before the race but I have no details yet.

Here are results of the June 6-7 1970 races from  the JAF site:

Heat 1 11:30AM

image.png

image.png

100Miles B 13:40

image.png

image.png

Qualifying and Score of 2 Heats:

image.png

Final

image.png

image.png

Another race from same weekend event:

image.png

I was taking Fuji circuit to be almost a mile long so maybe 100-110 laps then for 100miles - I guess that sorts out the boys from the men - reliability wins uber alles (and I'm not belittling the pace) - they always seem to sprint their races from what one can see up on YT.

Pint taken re sanctioned races but I'm not into splitting hairs etc - I'm more interested in getting some correct dates (months and years'll suffice) and you've already quoted the MCRally mule in 1970 which, for me, is nothing short of genius on the part of Nissan - I worship such anticipation and pre-planning : can anyone imagine the organisation internal they had to do that around the other side of the world - stunning.

So, you can safely say that there were no official (and I don't just mean works) Zs racing in 1969 however they were motorised ?

Those R382s are just SO sexy. The Toyota 7 is pretty cool too but too 'square and later with an aerofoil, it loses some of the flwoing beauthy the Nissan exudes.

Even the music is '70s cool in this video.

Fuji was 6.0km circuit in 1970.

1. Z production started rolling in Oct. 1969
  2. It was on the Murayama track in Nov (also previewed to world in late Oct/early Nov). 1969
  3. It's first race was Jan 17.1970

So ~3.5 months (max) from production to racing.... pretty darn good!

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

23987654210_6f4c40b63d_b.jpg

photo015.jpg

preview-768x432.jpg

Edited by 240260280

9 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

It was on the Murayama track in Nov (also previewed to world in late Oct/early Nov). 1969

Murayama, like Oppama, Yatabe and Fukurohe, was a test track. Are we counting running on a test track as some kind of 'competition' use now?

In any case, I think you'll find that the S30-series Z was on the Oppama test course before Murayama.

See what I mean about endless hair-splitting? It might be fun for a while, but it doesn't really get resolved.