IGNORED

1972 240Z Steering Rack Bump Stops

52crankman

I have a 1972 (July) 240Z.  Can anyone help with my steering rack disassembly.  I have what I am going to call rack stops that are steel rings about 35mm OD on each end of the rack.  They seem to have some type of rubber that can be seen on each side at the ID.  Does anyone know if these are just pressed on and can be removed and then reused.  I want to be able to finish disassembling my rack but the stops are causing a problem.  I have tried twisting but they do not move.  I do not want to destroy them.  I believe this came from the factory as I am the second owner of this car and purchased it back in 1977.

DSC02455.JPG

DSC02456.JPG

5 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Might be something in this link.  Different year but the parts are probably similar.

Probably a good Knowledge Base article.  @Mike

Good idea, I put this in our technical articles forum until I can move it over to the tech-articles area.

I was just messing with one of these today. On mine I 'unscrewed' them. They are just a steel ring with a rubber lining, covering a zerk port. I tried tapping them off first, but when I tried to turn them, they were about half way onto the threads, so they just screwed off. I figured that was easier on the rubber than dragging them across the threads. I screwed them back on.
Somebody who knows more than me can probably tell us if they are stops, or just covers for the zerk opening, or both.

I know I didn't replace the bearing, can't remember about the seal. As long as the bearing was surrounded by grease it will probably be fine. If any water got in there it will be at the bottom of the bushing that the pinion sits in, my rack was an early one with about 130,000 miles on it and the only wear I found was a bit in the center of the rack where the pinion spends most of it's time while driving.