IGNORED

Rally anyone?

Mike

That's great stuff "zedrally" / Mike - well done. Its always great to get it from the horse's mouth too. I think Bob Watson really trumped the Works drivers to finish better placed than them, and it must have been really difficult in the Z against the smaller and more agile stuff that the other teams were fielding in the '73 race. Its not suprising that Fall crashed ( he had a reputation in Japan for being a "crasher" and car-breaker! ) - but he is in fact still very much alive and still occasionally campaigning a Historic Rally 240Z on selected events here in the UK and in Europe. Last time out, Yvonne Mehta ( Shekhar's wife ) navigated for him in the Manx Rally on the Isle of Man. That was just a few weeks ago. He retired just before the end..............

Its very interesting to hear that Bob Watson's car was "Ex Monte", and it may be possible to get a help in identifying the actual car from this. However, I have found that it is best to be careful with this until proved 100% and without doubt that the data adds up. Nissan used a fair few practice and chase cars for each event, and these were quite often cars that had actually competed in previous events. Many rally teams used to swap registration plates on cars at their convenience, and it has always been thought that Nissan were one of the few teams NOT doing this. However, it seems difficult to believe that it might not have happened just a few times at least. Registration numbers are easily changed, and of course its the Chassis / VIN number that would tell the truth about this ( almost impossible to track these down for each event, and corroborate them with the race officials after 30 odd years.............. ). We shall just have to do the best we can......

Anyway, great data - and good to have you aboard.

Alan T.

Hi Guus and Rolf and everyone,

Here's a picture of Fall and Halloran in TKS 33 SU 4080 before they retired:

Any chance of getting a copy? Unable to save image. Would love to use in Club Magazine. Looks like Bob Watson with back to camera!

Mike

OK,

Little snippnet to add.

Mike,

I've got a photo of Ross Dunkerton in a 260Z in the 1976 Southern Cross

(which he didn't finish due to suspension problems). He started at

car#13 and the number plate looks like MGN2343.

1976 - ah, those were the days when rally drivers were real men;

Day 1: 900km total

Day 2: 950km total

Day 3: 750km total

Day 4: 790 km of which 590 competitive (including one stage of 218km!).

There are two pics of Zeds at the 'Cross at the AMSAG site - Bob Watson

and Shekhar Mehta (you'll be hard pressed to identify number plate

though!)

The AMSAG site mentioned is down at present so I'm not sure of the photo's mentioned. Will add more as I will contact Frank Kilfoyle to see if he has anmore to add.

Mike

Amazing what this digging does.

For Sale

I think i can answer your query very easily Mike , read below.

DATSUN 240Z

DATE: 06 May 2002

CATEGORY: Rally Cars

PRICE: $16,500

CONTACT NAME: Gavin Edwards

CONTACT NUMBER: 03 8704 9828

CONTACT EMAIL: gavinedwards@unite.com.au

ENGINE NUMBER: L28415777

DESCRIPTION:

Datsun 240 zed rally car for sale .

This car is #573, trying to find out what it did before it was re-built.

Gavin adds:

This car was built by David Greig for rallying in the late 1980's , its won the VRC ,

VCRS x 2 and the VCAS series .

4 wheel vented discs , with racing front discs and a balance bar. Koni wet legs with adj

rebound , adj platforms and arms etc. Option 1 gearbox with works sandwich plate and brass

synchros. 4.4 r200 lsd freshly rebuilt. new unis through out [ genuine ] rally seats and

harnesses . Pro trip and map lights . Engine originally built by Les Collins , currently

features ; flat tops ,fly cut with floating gudgeons, freshly balanced crank , Les head with

40 mm ports , datrally manifold with 3x 45 dcoe's,oil cooler , big extractors and button

clutch.

Will throw in a complete rolling 240 zed shell and some spares for 16,500. email me on

gavinedwards@unite.com.au or ph 03 8704 9828 .

I am sure it’s before 1973, because I took this info from a 1972 SportAuto mag.

As it was the February issue, I suppose that they where referring to the 1971 race (If I remember well, they didn’t had any race in 1972!).

That’s my report for the day, boss.

Fred

OK,

Little snippnet to add.

Mike,

I've got a photo of Ross Dunkerton in a 260Z in the 1976 Southern Cross

(which he didn't finish due to suspension problems). He started at

car#13 and the number plate looks like MGN2343.

Speaking about Ross Dunkerton

How about this, read all about it!!!!

http://www.jumma.photoarena.co.uk/news/250301rtts.html

http://www.zcarworkshop.com.au/Newsite/latestnews.html

http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/20687/20010927/www.southernxrally.com.au/pages/media.html

regards,