IGNORED

Help Identify this part! Need Your expertise!

KiraK

As Zed Head says under the horn pad is just a spring loaded sandwich if you will, that connects the circuit to ground. A simple emery sanding of the plated should fix that. 

Also on the back side of the steering wheel is a spring tensioned contact that rides the outer ring on the wheel. This is how the signal is passed to the harness in a way so you can turn the wheel and not be twisting a wire, those contacts also need to be cleaned / sanded / filed. Might need to pull the wheel to get at the back side. 

I suspect that is the problem. As you can see on the wheel in the pictures it gets corroded and loses the contact. This contact is connected through the three prong terminal going to the turn signal side of the switch. The Red/Black wire can be checked for continuity to the sandwich plate as the horn button is pressed. 

I wouldn't expect you would need to buy any parts to fix this unless one or more of the above pieces is broken or missing. It should just need cleaning. 

My 2 cents.

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Mark, and Zed! 

Thanks for weighing in! Mark, good idea, and thinking perhaps that is the next step. 

Zed.. No, I was there when this happened, it would beep, then stop when pushed? As for my horn pad, there was a crack I. The interior plastic, but I did repair it, so I'm thinking that should no longer be a problem. So if I understand, are you saying that perhaps I only have a bad spring? If so, where can I find a proper replacement? 

Thoughts all? Appreciate the continued support!

K

The lil z lady :)

p.s. Getting ready to show her at the LA Z Bash on Friday!  I hope I can complete all the last minute prep before I go :) ! 

I think that Mark went directly to what might be the real problem.  What you described is an electrical circuit that is made, then broken for no apparent reason.  If you make the contact by pushing the horn button, what causes it to go away?  You didn't let up on the button.

And Terrapin's pictures show what is even more likely, I think. Rusty, dirty contacts will open up as they heat up from current flow.  That contact is supposed to be always made, even as the wheel turns.  I think that you could check that one by pressing the button and turning the wheel.  You might get several beeps or it only beeps in one spot.  I had that problem on a Pathfinder, the contact had just worn away.  240,000 miles on it.  It was a different design but had the same purpose.

Terrapin you are always so helpful and knowledgeable! I appreciate the photos! The front contacts look good.. Not corroded at all! But I haven't pulled it apart or looked at the back side. I also was not there when my z guy was troubleshooting, so I'll have to ask if he pulled it apart? I was just there at the end when we tried to honk the horn. 

So I will try cleaning next, then, if not successful, I'll try Marks suggestion to make sure the horn itself is working properly with no shorts. 

Am I on track with the above suggestions?

Pulling the mechanism apart before I leave for the z show unfortunately might not happen, as I am tackling several last minute updates since the z has had a complete tune up, paint. We are finishing putting all the peices back on the z... Bumpers, louvers, etc in preparation for the show. I'm having the A/C repaired this morning, and that is taking more time then thought, so all the other things planned for today are delayed. Sigh... U know how it goes when there is a deadline. I'll keep u all posted on my progress and come back with any additional questions. 

If interested, I plan to post photos after the z is completed and ready to roll :) 

Thanks again to all for helping to walk me through this particular issue. 

K

Yes, I agree Zed, the above posts and your discription of the problem in your pathfinder make sense! 

So now I know what I need to try next. I'll also ask my z mechanic if he pulled it apart and checked. As I said I wasn't there until the end. 

Mill keep u posted and let you all know what I learn, what works, and what doesn't work.

Thanks much Zed!

K

I would venture to say that if you heard the horn even if just a short bit, says it is working. I would look to the wires and contact areas for a inconsistent connection.

I happen to be cleaning up some switches today myself and your problem seem to fit todays activities. 

Hope you do not encounter any further hiccups in your reassembly today. Have fun at the Z show!!!

Wish u were here, we could tackle this together, since it does sound like we are tackling similar problems! Misery loves company :) ! 

Your right it does sound like an inconsistent connection. I'll give it a go, and see how things work out! 

Hope your project goes well too! 

I will post some photos from the show. It is my first and it should be a blast! 

K

• Like 1

You can always remove the horn pad and activate the horn mechanism by hand. Use a glove if you are worried about current but it shouldn't hurt since it's 12 volt. It may be the broken horn pad is causing the issue...

Horray! Fixed! Just a connection issue.... Now I can roll down the road and honk to my hearts content! 

Thank you all for all of the ideas and feedback! Once again the community prevails!

Appreciate you!

K

• Like 1