IGNORED

Restoration Blog - Iain's 1971 240z

Sean240Z

http://huddleston240z.weebly.com

My friend, Dave, is in the process of restoring a 1971 240z for a second friend, Iain. He is doing a great job of documenting the process in the above blog, along with lots of photos. I thought some might find this interesting. 

This afternoon, we're going to tackle spindle pins. This is a job I have not yet done on my 240z, so I thought it would be interesting to help Dave out, to see if the spindle pin and bushing replacement is something I might want to tackle next winter.

I believe that job is a rite of passage for any Z owner.  They could go either way, simple and easy or really, really hard.  Lots of threads about spindles here. Have fun and keep us posted.

I had one of each LOL...

We had one of each as well! We were able to hammer one out using a drift without too much effort. The second spindle pin wouldn't budge. We cut the spindle pin in two places to seperate the strut assembly from the rear control arm and Dave will be taking the piece to a local shop to have the spindle pin pieces pressed out. Overall, not too bad.

• Like 1

That blog is great!  I have already enjoyed reading it and have only gotten to a few posts.  On the topic of spindle pin removal, there are several well documented threads of pain and misery, mine is one of them below.  Good luck to him with it and be careful working on them.

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/45649-spindle-pin-woes/

• Like 1

Dave emailed me and apparently the spindle pin we had to cut took a torch and a 60 tonne press to extract from the control arm and strut assembly! On the bright side, if only cost $25 to have the shop extract the spindle pin.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...