IGNORED

73z turn signal wiring photo?

Rick Bolus

At this point I would likely be removing the tape from the bundles to trace the specific wires from point to point. The wiring diagram does not show any connector or color change in the white wire between the flasher and the T/S switch. Clearly there must be at least one joint near the T/S switch. The wiring diagram in the link Steve provided indicates a joint and color change from white to green. Since you can plug the black wire (which should be ground) into the red wire (which should be hot when the headlights are on) and get power on the green wire at the flasher (instead of a short circuit and blown fuse) a re-wire of some sort by a previous owner or repairman, or an assembly error of yours at another location besides the steering column seems likely.

1 hour ago, Rick Bolus said:

Steve I have checked both sides of each fuse with a power tester. Both terminals have power. Except there is zero power neither of the two right upper ones. 

Thank you. There have been many times when I've read where people only did visual inspections of fuses. I have seen a fuse (parking light circuit) that only had a hairline break. You couldn't tell with the naked eye.

Now that you have determined that you have voltage at the fuse, go to the hazard light switch. Pop off the connector between the hazard light switch and the dash. Contort yourself in ways that would make a yoga instructor jealous, and look for voltage to ground on both of the green wires on the dash side of the harness. You'll find the green wires on a 6 pin connector, just as I illustrated on the circuit diagram. If you don't find voltage on either side, it's a good chance someone has hacked up the wiring "trying to improve things." 

Success!! I took main cf ter panel out to get access to the hazard switch. I had most of it out of way anyway. I unplugged both harness at the switch. Had power at three green terminals, two lower and one center for future use by someone else struggling. Could not find any problems but the signal started flashing. So it Must have been bad connection. Now to continue the wire question color issues that have come up:

On my 72Z it is NOT the same at all. 

The mysterious solid green under colum does tie into the solid white. I left the always live red from the main harness alone it is unconnected. Thanks for everyone's input. Of course I just tried it for giggles and it's not working but it must be a dirty conection.