IGNORED

73z turn signal wiring photo?

Rick Bolus

Hi guys I need some help. No power at turn signal lever its 73z manual

when I picked up car it was a bare shell only,  all apart, does anyone have a photo you can share of where the wires from the combo switches meet up?  I have the signal switch plugged in to the right plug on the main harness of dash which looks like it's a square plug with 6 pins, but there's zero power there.  And zero at the lever.

There are a couple of single wires unplugged like the key buzzer wire which right now I'm not worried about. I think some of them crossover from headlight combo switch to the tsig side, but colors don't match under column. The other lights all fine, flashers and horn are working. Fuses all good. Any help appreciated. 

Edited by Rick Bolus

First post a picture of your switch from a few other angles. I need that to id which year it comes from. Also post your build date. drivers door jamb. Make sure the pictures show the connectors. The 73 switches after 1/73 I think have intermittent wipers. You will see three white dots on the wiper switch rather then two on earlier ones.

If its any consolation, I still scratch my head a bit about which wires go where when I hook those switches up. My favs are the separate green and white singles that connect to the flasher. They seem like orphans until it finally clicks....

What, exactly, is not working? You said the flashers are working: Do you mean the hazards or the turn signals? If you are looking for power for the headlights, the headlight switch controls the ground, not the positive. This means that when the headlights are off there should be two "hot" wires at the headlight switch, one for the low beam and one for the high beam. If these lines are "cold" check the headlight fuse, headlights (bulbs) and so on. There should be power at each headlight at all times.

Beer man Pete the pictures were of my present possibly wrong connections, What is Not working are the turn signals, left nor right.

The headlights and high beam are working fine, hazard all four are fine. There is zero power anywhere on the turn signal section of the look that plugs into them. Thanks 

I can't tell much from your photos. You need a factory service manual with the wiring schematic so you can trace the wires by color through the car as you troubleshoot the problem. I think you can get a free copy from xenonzcars.com. Since you have no power at the turn signal switch it seems like the problem lies elsewhere. Does the car run? Does anything that is controlled by the ignition switch work (i.e. radio, heater, wipers)?

Power for the turn signals runs from the ignition switch to the fuse box, then to the hazard switch, then to the flasher, then to the turn signal switch. Start by checking for power at the 20 amp fuse for the turn signals. It should be hot when the key is in the on position. Check the fuse itself and (assuming it is goog) clean it and the clips it snaps into. Next, check for power at the two green wires on the hazard switch. One is the feed from the fuse box, the other goes to the flasher. Next check for power at the flasher (the one with a green wire and a white wire, the other flasher is for the hazards). Next, check for power on the white wire at the turn signal switch. The first place without power tells you the component upstream, or a connection in-line from it is the problem.

• Like 1

The power the turn signals goes through the hazard switch. Even though the hazards work, I'll bet the problem is in the hazard switch contacts. Do the checks that SteveJ gave you the link for and let us know what you find. 

45 minutes ago, beermanpete said:

I can't tell much from your photos. You need a factory service manual with the wiring schematic so you can trace the wires by color through the car as you troubleshoot the problem. I think you can get a free copy from xenonzcars.com. Since you have no power at the turn signal switch it seems like the problem lies elsewhere. Does the car run? Does anything that is controlled by the ignition switch work (i.e. radio, heater, wipers)?

Power for the turn signals runs from the ignition switch to the fuse box, then to the hazard switch, then to the flasher, then to the turn signal switch. Start by checking for power at the 20 amp fuse for the turn signals. It should be hot when the key is in the on position. Check the fuse itself and (assuming it is goog) clean it and the clips it snaps into. Next, check for power at the two green wires on the hazard switch. One is the feed from the fuse box, the other goes to the flasher. Next check for power at the flasher (the one with a green wire and a white wire, the other flasher is for the hazards). Next, check for power on the white wire at the turn signal switch. The first place without power tells you the component upstream, or a connection in-line from it is the problem.