IGNORED

280Z Kick panel speaker pods in development.

Derek

Had to wait for speakers to come in. So here are the first few pictures of the Datsun-Works 280Z front speaker Panels on my 1976 280Z. Fit and finish is excellent. They look factory made. I only had to make one small modification on the drivers side to the lower mounting hole. This may be due to the hood cable being positioned slightly lower on the 1975 and 1976 models than the 77's and 78's. There is a difference in layout between the years.

The Pyle PLSL502 fit perfect and are highly rated from what I've read. I got mine on E-Bay for $36 pair USD. The speaker is exact;y 1.643" from the bottom of speaker cone,  to the bottom mounting  lip of the speaker.  On the passenger side panel. there is 1.858" clearance to the top of the fuse box lid.These dimensions may be important to others who may prefer different speakers. There are shallow component speakers available, so now you have the dimensions you need to use alternative speakers.

Didn't get a chance to measure clearance on Drivers side as my back muscles spasmed on me. That put paid to any further work today!!! Suffice to say, that the Pyle PLSL502 speakers will fit.

Edit: On the drivers side there is 1.965" clearance to the top of the ECU.

DSCN1035.JPG

DSCN1036.JPG

DSCN1040.JPG

Mod #2.JPG

Edited by Chickenman

Sorry for the delay, but I've been having some back issues lately and I can't get under the Dash for very long. Here are a few more pictures and some notes.

1: Driver side fits much easier with small notch I made. Derek will likely modify production models based on this feed back.

2: I have included some pictures with my size 12, D width running shoes on. These are the bulkiest shoes I own ( with a big flare on side of soles )  and as you can see, there is lots of space. I have a lot more room with my dress shoes or driving shoes. Access to clutch pedal is a none issue. Access to dead pedal is fine. you just learn to slip your foot back and under. People without size 12 feet would have even more clearance.

I'll update later with speakers in place.

010.JPG001.JPG

015.JPG

014.JPG

i'm the 1978 that derek alluded to in an earlier post.  i can say for certain these very handily fit a '78!

the clearance is pretty tight with the hood release cable.  i put a very slight bend in my bracket(just a few degrees, probably) and there is zero tension between the panel and the cable.

i did my homework in search of the most capable speaker available to fit in these panels.  i picked 2-way speakers because i don't want tweeters on my dash, if you were to go with a component speaker there would be more room near the pedals(though my size 12/46 has no issue as is). 

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20641KS54/Kicker-41KSC54.html?tp=97

these have the most frequency response, the highest capacity for power, and the highest sensitivity of any 5.25" speaker i could find that was less than 2" deep.

yes my car is currently automatic, so there is no interference with the clutch pedal on the speaker grill.  these grills would be easy to modify if necessary.

sound is a huuuuuge improvement, and despite the close quarters with a potentially rattly ecu cover and seemingly minimal attachment point for the panels everything is rock solid with no noise other than the music!

awesome product, i'm really glad these came along instead sacrificing the space and functionality of my hatch area with a 6x9 enclosure by the taillights.

new-5.jpg

new-6.jpg

new-8.jpg

new-9.jpg

new-14.jpg

new-15.jpg

• 9 months later...

After a little more research I've found another excellent choice in 5.25"speakers with proper mounting depth to fit into Derek's pods : Polk Audio DB522.

They can be found on Ebay for $69 and actually fare better in comparison to the the Pyle, Retrosound and even the excellent Kicker choices discussed in this thread.

Check out the tech sheet comparison between the top 2: the Polk Audio and the Kickers: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-KL82vO5sfhp/compare_107DB522_206KSC504/Polk-Audio-DB522-vs-Kicker-44KSC504.html

This information might be usefull for those considering this audio upgrade.

• 1 year later...