IGNORED

Selling an OHC engine.. and looking for info

jonesagain

I am helping my dad sell this emgine, that has been sitting in his garage for years.. he bought it for a Z, then never installed it and sold the car :(

I am looking for a buyer, it is out of Las vegas, NV. I am also looking for more info about the engine, to help me sell it, because I am out of my element. I would also like a ballpark figure of its worth...

20160109_110604.jpg

I got lucky and found one local to me for $350, no transmission.  You should look above and in between the front 2 spark plugs and see what numbers are stamped on the head.  Should be E88 or if you're lucky E31.  It has the smog stuff still attached to the exhaust manifold so I'd guess it's out of a 1973, but it has the more desireable "3 screw round tops" carburetors from an earlier car, I believe.  Probably has an E88 head.  It would sell for $500 around my area but maybe more in Las Vegas?  We have a member or two from there, maybe they'll see your post and be more help.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Assuming the transmission goes with it?

We just had a whole discussion about the manifold thermostat, which can be seen in your picture.  Looks like a 72 or higher L24, or an L26.  Look at the flat spot above the starter for stamped/engraved letters and numbers.  It will say either L24 or L26.  Could also be an L28 that's had carbs installed.

Not much information.  Since it has no running history, it's worth less than one coming from a car.  A Pick n Pull wrecking yard would charge about $250 but you'd have to remove the engine yourself, let alone find one, so yours is easier.

If you just want to move it quickly, $200 would probably draw a buyer, just to have it as a spare.  The 4 speed transmissions aren't worth much though.  Everybody has one left in their garage after swapping a 5 speed in.

• Like 1

I agree with Site. If its all original it's before July 72. I can't see the details all that good, but the screws on the carbs look square from each other which could mean the 4 screw type. If they are four screw, it would put it somewhere before August 71. Good chance this engine has an E31 head.

If they are 4 screw carbs, it should have an E46 inlet manifold. The carbs don't have the water heating the later version had. That came in on the 3 screw carbs.

The air pump valve thingy with the pinkish red hoses is for the pre July 72. They moved it to the back on thd flat tops.

You might want to check thd gearbox. Small change, but someone could have fitted a five speed from a latrr model. If its a four speed, its the original.

• Like 1

I don't know anything about it. my dad (80 years old) is out of town until tonite, and i will ask him when I see him. However, I doubt he will know much about it. he's at the age where nothing is relevant to him anymore, so it's not worth the time and energy it takes to recall little details. he spent a pretty penny on it, I remember that...

I really appreciate you taking the time to help! I'm learning a lot, and may first possible buyer is coming by later tonite to take a look. he responded within a half hour of my first ad bring published online about it, so it's exciting for me to learn as much as possible about it. Someone locally helped me out for a bit last night. and he said that he couldn't find anything comparable to it around Las vegas.

Goodluck selling. Persuming its an original L24 with an E31 head it will be a desirable engine. The early E88 heads and also nice. Just for parts like the head and carbs, you shouldn't have too much trouble selling.

Edited by EuroDat
Typo
  • Like 1

thanks! wow, I am so far out-of my element here... I am a reseller, that is how I make a living, but with this engine, I really don't know what to do when it comes to selling. My dad gave it to me, and told me to sell it for whatever I want. I need to find the right price/sales strategy, that will benefit me AND the buyer, so that I can sell it relatively soon.

someone mentioned the option of piecing out the parts, and I know many times that can lead to a larger amount bin the long run,  but it's time consuming, and I don't have the know-howner to do it myself... because of this, would you suggest that I keep the engine and transmission together and just look for a buyer who wants the whole thing? Would it be we worth it to  bring someone with the know-how  on to assist with the sale and piece it out? I swear, my ex is a mechanic, and it's almost tempting to enlist his help. Almost, but not quite.

Selling it as parts would get you more, but it takes more effort on your part and you will be let with odd parts no one wants.

You need to post more info on the head ID (E31, E88, N42) and which block is it L24, L28 etc. Then people will know what the aee buying.

Does the engine still turn? What is the gearbox, most probably a 4 speed (F4W71B) or maybe a 5 speed (FS5W71B). If its a 5 speed post some photo's of the rear extension housing. There are several variations in the ratios and the rear extension helps identify them. If you add that info to the thread, you might even find someone here interested.

• Like 1