IGNORED

OFFICIAL 280Z "Fuel Damper" thread!

Consigli

From what I have read and heard from Mercedes fans here. The damper was used to help reduce pump noise. Once the pump has worn a bit, there is enough slip in the pump so if you removed the damper it would have little effect.

I must admit I don't have a new pump to confirm this theory.

These pumps are getting old and the internals are showing signs of wear. They have so much over capacity for the 280Z that you don't notice anything until they are almost completly worn out. Remember the original "Bosch" pump design was also used in Mercedes V8.

The Bosch version can be identified by the black terminal insulator section. The Hitachi has the light blue terminal insulator section.

They look very similar, but there are enough small differences the make most part non interchangable.

post-25317-0-45920700-1450728219_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Was contemplating removing mine this week. But I will wait, maybe, to hear results of the one you are installing. I'm not convinced yet that I need one while running an aftermarket fuel pump. I will give it some more thought. I may remove it and run the car just to answer a couple questions. Good price for the one you found though. Are you installing it anytime soon?

• 2 weeks later...

The "Fuel Damper" turned out to be a very difficult part to find. Original Nissan ones are NLA and the supply of cross referenced after market parts has dried up. I spent many hours looking for a substitute and fortunately found one. Its been on my car for two weeks now and fits/works perfect. See my picture. It fixed the dangerous gasoline leak and pressure leak down between starts. No more gas smell in my garage and the car now starts instantaneously even after sitting for days! There is nothing that cross references this part to Japanese cars. Its for old BMW 3 & 5 series cars. But it works fine on my 280Z.

To do the job right, make sure you also get some good quality high pressure fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps. You don't want gasoline leaks in this sensitive area with the hot exhaust just a few feet away! 

The part number is Bosch 0280161024.  Just do a Google search and plenty of buying options will come up. Good luck! 

Bosch Dampner.JPG

My fuel pump is a recently installed NOS one, because I wanted to keep everything original as much as possible. I wish I cut the old original Nissan dampner open to see if it was restricted before I pitched it, because the car seems to run better with the new Bosch dampner. 

Edited by Consigli

Interesting that the BMW's they're on use the newer style fuel pumps.  Similar pump and engines overall to our Z's.  Must serve some useful purpose.

Looks like your local auto store might be able to get them, but you might have to ask for AC parts.

Fuel Damper Compressor Shaft.PNG

I don't think your new damper solved the pressure drop. That would be the check valve in the new NOS pump.

The damper could slow the pressure drop if the check valve had a slow leak down rate. The damper does have capacity to compensate for pressure fluctuations and that would keep the pressure depending on the check valve leak.

I wonder what you would get if you ordered that A/C compressor shaft?

I think that the assumption was that the gas leaking from the damper caused the pressure drop.  That would be a lot of gas though.

In general, pulsing and vibration cause wear and damage.  I wonder if the damper isn't also for durability of the other parts of the system.  The injectors and FPR and pump would all feel the shock of the pressure pulses from the injectors opening and closing.  Even the fuel hoses would pulse.  Might just be for wear and tear, in addition to noise.  Seems like pump noise could be handles with mounting insulation, hard to see that as the only reason.