IGNORED

sweatys rebuild

sweatybetty

well its been a while since ive updated this, so here goes

all new front end parts, including ball joints, struts, upper bearing, tie rod ends, springs, polyurethane bushings and compression rod parts. everything was sandblasted and painted with black epoxy

100_1629.JPG

100_1632.JPG

100_1639.JPG

new toyota calipers and aluminum splash shields.  the originals were gone, so i made some up at work. the aluminum is a little too thick, so the hubs rub just a tiny bit but that should go away as the hub wears the aluminum.

100_1642.JPG

100_1644.JPG

new compression rod parts and cover

100_1646.JPG

• Like 3

so, i now have working brakes :D after the rear conversion and a couple of leak repairs everything is good!

all new calipers, bearings and rotors. i have new cable and stops for the parking brake cable on the way, so i hope to have that done next week. then i can get the diff and short shafts back in. that should be the end of the suspension.

next up: new wiring harness B)

100_1661.JPG

100_1666.JPG

100_1672.JPG

Edited by sweatybetty

new wiring harness finally arrived. i have a feeling im going to get flamed a bit, but while im out driving and you are sitting in the garage trying to figure out electrical problems................

i first found this place http://kwikwire.com/ when chasing electrical problems on my power wagon. $300 and a few days later, i had a new-like truck. anyhow, here are a few pics

14 circuits, plenty of wire and every wire is marked to where it goes

100_1676.JPG

100_1682.JPG

100_1683.JPG

100_1685.JPG

• Like 1

Very clean, there is a lot to be said for fresh wire and connections. I guess the fuse panel itself is water proof yes?

If you are not a stickler for originality then there is no downside, just keep the old harness so it stays with the car.

I just had a look at their website, $300 is a good price, is that a master kill switch under the panel?

Chris

9 hours ago, the_tool_man said:

What did you wrap the wiring with?  It seems like that would be a real pain with the wires already run.  But it's gotta be the best way to get the lengths right.  Very nice.

that is plain old electrical tape. easy enough to remove or replace if i need to

4 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Very clean, there is a lot to be said for fresh wire and connections. I guess the fuse panel itself is water proof yes?

If you are not a stickler for originality then there is no downside, just keep the old harness so it stays with the car.

I just had a look at their website, $300 is a good price, is that a master kill switch under the panel?

Chris

i dont think the fuse box is water proof, but im not too concerned with that where it is. as far as  the old harness, some of it will be cut and spliced to integrate the new with the old which is turning into somewhat of a challenge :angry2:

it amazes me that these cars even ran with all the extra wires (why run 4 when 7 will work even better) and connectors. no wonder so many owners have problems.

and, no, there is no kill switch

looks nice and clean - i like it. 

on my 78 the majority of problems were at connections - all the various plugs that allow the loom to be split up into sections for install. since you're replacing everything, did you just forego all these connections, or did you use new/refurbished plugs?