IGNORED

'73 white european lady

spoofan

I checked the contact surface between rocker arm and cam lobe - the missing chunk is pretty big so I would rather replace the cam. Used ones are not so expensive.

I have also read somewhere it is enough to jack the front of the engine, so hopefully I will be able to do the repairs w/o removing the head or the engine completely.

If you or anyone needs a camshaft, I have the 'C' Datsun camshaft with all the matching rocker arms marked.

I have new lash pads to go with them too which you should use. The existing lash pads should be removed

as they are worn in with the existing rocker arms. I just pulled this set up out of my own engine.

When I installed this cam I unbolted the passenger side motor mount. Jacked the engine enough. Slid the old out and the new 

in easily clearing the radiator.

Thank you for the offer. I have already managed to get the F type. Head is separated from block and I am more and more worried what previous owner did to the engine. Two pistons have marks from the valves,all cylinders are scored (piston rings probably broken),rocker arms have only 2/3 wear pattern. I did found another free lashpad - this time in head. So the engine was running with 13 of them - 11 on valves, 1 in oil pan and 1 hidden somewhere in the head.

ouch.

well, at least you've got a better idea of your starting point - better to do the rebuild yourself and know every inch of that motor than be left wondering.

these blocks are tough, so depending on the depth of the scoring you may be able to do a bore/resurface, new bearings and off to the races.

And why all that came loose in the first place?  Could weak springs cause all that havoc he's seeing?  Or maybe the adjustment lock nuts came loose and the valves got waaaaaay out of spec allowing the lash pads to turn so that the valves were pushed farther down than normal.  the rocker tips got out of the channel and were riding on the higher edges? 

• 7 months later...