IGNORED

'73 white european lady

spoofan

So I finally managed to find a 240z which I always desired. It will take a lot of time to make her beautiful again but I am sure the time spent on restoration will be definitely worth it.

Not my first car which will be rebuilt (already completed Miata NA version) so I kind of know what amount of work to expect but I am really afraid of rust. 

There are a lot of non genuine parts on the car so I plan to get her to stock look as much as possible. First I need to start the car after 12y sitting in a barn. I just can't wait to hear the engine.

So if anyone here is selling the parts, PM me :) I am definitely looking for inspection light, mirrors, seats, front bumper, wheels...

post-30231-0-33721100-1438598212_thumb.j

post-30231-0-66976500-1438598216_thumb.j

post-30231-0-28498700-1438598219_thumb.j

post-30231-0-37002300-1438598222_thumb.j

post-30231-0-38437100-1438598225_thumb.j

• Like 1

Nice car. Zcardepot on ebay can help you out with a lot of the small stuff like mirrors and the engine bay light. futofab.com has new chrome bumpers. Wheels are plentiful over here but the shipping would be expensive. Check our classifieds. You might find some things closer to you.

Enjoy the Z!

Thanks a lot. Shipping from US is no problem, so if any of you guys have something nice to sell (and are willing to ship inside US) I am willing to buy :)

Edited by spoofan

nice find - there's a good thread here about "awakening the beast" with a lot of great tips on starting a motor that has sat for years. important to do it carefully or you can ruin a cam.

keep us posted with restoration pics!

• 1 month later...

So I finally had some time to work on the Z. I drained the fuel tank and took of valve cover and this is what I have found.

Any ideas what went wrong? Is it even repairable? I did not start the engine, it wasn't running last 12 years.

WP_20150923_014.jpg

WP_20150923_016.jpg

12047375_1187658477914517_1147877869_n.j
Edited by spoofan

Happen to mine after a rebuild. Lash pad or rocker arm guide, I've heard them called both, came off the vale spring retainer then the rocker arm slid off the side. Shouldn't be a problem.

Find the lash pad. Pry the valve spring down with a long screwdriver using the cam as a pry point, in between the slick lobes, the rough part of the cam. When the springs are compressed you can slide the rocker back on. Do a valve height adjustment and it should be fine. Most likely feel off because the valve was too loose.

I flipped out when it happened to me but after hearing from the members here on how to fix the problem it was really easy. Never happened again either.

12 years sitting you'll need some other preventive work before cranking your car.

From your pics it looks like a big chunk is missing from the cam lobe, I hope I'm just seeing things.

Woesa wowsa! I'm a frayed you're right Mr Knot. Thats been run a good bit more than I first realized, using my new phone and old eyes. Don't get another head off ebay, you'll get screwed. Maybe get by with another cam and rocker?

the cam does indeed look damaged, not sure if the wear area of the lobe is ruined or not - the lobe is wider than the rocker arm contact surface, you should be able to see the wear marks on the cam to tell. replacing a cam is not a huge deal, couple hundred bucks, but i'd be more concerned about finding every single bit of metal that came off it, as well as all the parts to the valve train that came loose - including the valve guide seal and the little spring at the top that holds the seal around the valve stem. this happened to me last summer (there's a thread on here somewhere about it) and i was fortunate to not only have no cam damage but found all the little bits. pray to whatever god you hold dear that nothing found its way down the "hole of doom" (cam chain/front cover) or you'll be in for a long afternoon or two.

all that said, just know that these engines are tough, and there's nothing that can't be replaced or re-built.

The cam is really damaged a lot. I was not able to find lash pad, only one small metal piece 5mmx5mm big which really scared me. 

I will check the wear area and pray for the best.

So if I was not able to find any of the missing bits I need to check the "hole of doom" which means get to the front of the engine? Well, great start of restoration project :D

if bits went down the timing chain hole, you'll want to pull the oil pan and see what's down there. you can pull the pan with the engine in the car -it's tight but doable. get a good light and magnet to fish for anything in the front cover area. if it were me, i'd pull the head and get it surfaced, cleaned up, do the valves and new cam. the top end of these motors is where it all happens.

The pan will be definitely cleaned. I have already ordered new sealing. Good to know I can drop it w/o engine removal.

I would like to avoid rebuild of the head, cam, valves, rocker arms...but if it will be necessary I might end up with performance cam - at least I have excuse to spend some money :)

Thanks a lot. I will keep you updated.