IGNORED

Hella H4 Conversion headlamps don't fit

TomoHawk

I see your point, but I resist using any kind of 'glue' on the headlamp bulb.  If you (never) need to change the bulb, then the tape should do for a few year, at least.  What about that self-fusing silicone tape?  It sounds like it ought to last longer.

I just wasn't too keen on relying on the electrical connector to keep the seal between the rubber cover and the lamp reflector tight, even  though there are probably hundreds of successful instances.

Edited by TomoHawk

Personally I would just put them in with no boots. With the bucket surrounding the headlamp, it is not likely very that you are going to get water or dirt in there. Any condensation will be evaporated by the heat generated by the bulb. Those H4's get quite toasty. Especially the high power versions.

Back when I used to Rally Datsun 510's in the 1970's, we didn't use any boots on the back of our 5.75" Cibie's and CEV Marshall's. They didn't even come with them back then. 

You probably serviced the headlamp-electricals more often than on ordinary cars too.

Remember that these aren't sealed beam lamps, but aluminum reflectors with H4 bulbs.

I tend to go for more safety than most people.  I would like to get home safely than have convenience in bulb-changing, but there are limits to even that.

Edited by TomoHawk

I'm just speaking from experience as someone who has used H4's on various cars since the 1970's. Lots of Vintage Datsun 510's up here and very few of them run the boots on any make of H4's. Water ingress is not that big of a deal at all on a Street car. Especially a Z-Car with buckets protecting the H/Lamp

And living in the PNW. it rains a ton here. I honestly can't remember anyone ever having issues from running without the boots. Just my .02c... FWIW

Edit: BTW.. sealing the bulb with Silicone is not  recommended as it increases heat retention and decreases bulb life. Just did some searching on Rally forums and a lot of guys remove the boots when they are using high wattage H4's. They want all the heat dissipation they can get. I had forgotten about that....

Now the 4x4 guys who fjord streams and drive through Mud Bogs are a different story. They do need the boots because of the extreme conditions that they operate in. But I doubt that you'll be driving your " Baby" through any Mud Bogs in the near future... LOL

Edited by Chickenman