IGNORED

Vogtland springs

drawz

Thanks for checking.  I don't want to give jdmwerks a bad rep.  I've seen where people had no problems with the 280Z setup and liked it, and just one where a guy had a problem, but jdmwerks resolved it quickly.  But you never know what other parts people are working with or what they're really doing.  Hope yours drop right in.

• 10 months later...

Does up and down orientation of these springs matter?  Clearly the coils are not wound with a smaller diameter at the top or bottom, and because they are linear, that shouldn't matter.

I am thinking it doesn't, but I just want to see what you guys think.

Edited by DaveR

That and I was worried about the possibility of noise from metal-metal contact (I figured all the more modern cars I've worked on that have something between the spring and the supports must have that for a reason).  I'm not sure it makes any difference, but I'm not taking it all apart just to find out :)

Received my 240 versions the other day, was expecting them to be the same top to bottom if not front to back. They are neither.

Front versions appear to have 2-3 tight coils at one end. Rear ones appear more uniform.  It is making me consider which way I should put them in the car (which end is up that is).  Do linear springs often have tight coils at one end?

Left: front Right: rear

IMG_20160810_172604748.jpg

Left: rear  Right: front

IMG_20160810_172638923.jpg

Edited by DaveR

The spring's going to have the same amount of compression no matter which way it's installed, so all else being equal, the orientation shouldn't make a difference.  One the 280z, I recall the indentations for the end of the springs on the upper and lower seats being the same, if they're different on the 240, then turn the spring whichever way fits best.

No worries, I read all the threads beforehand. My part numbers seem good, and my rear strut fits perfectly, as does the gland nut. I don't think I will need a spacer.

The rear spring is short enough that I don't need spring compressors to get the hat on. I can put a little weight on them and get the nut started. Not sure about the front though as it's not off the car yet. 

I hope the ride is good though and not too rough, but I didn't want any issues that might occur with progressives. (Although most of those were probably mixed up back to front eibachs)

FYI the following is definitely the case for 240's as well. I plan to email JDMWerks since I have some time before I will get to install them and see what they say. Really the answer doesn't matter since they don't sit better one way or the other (both ways sit pretty nicely) but I just wonder what their response will be

2 hours ago, charliekwin said:

The spring's going to have the same amount of compression no matter which way it's installed, so all else being equal, the orientation shouldn't make a difference.  One the 280z, I recall the indentations for the end of the springs on the upper and lower seats being the same, if they're different on the 240, then turn the spring whichever way fits best.

Edited by DaveR