IGNORED

Steering Column Wiring

jgramignano8

According to carpartsmanual.com, the Instrument Harness went through a series of PN changes in the early days of the S30.  Not sure, though, exactly what this means with respect to actual changes in the design and features.  The production periods for the first five (of many) iterations were:

1   SOP  - 7009

2.  7010 - 7012

3.  7101 - 7108

4.  7109 - 7112

5.  7201 - 7206

My May-70 car has an Instrument Harness whose design matches (mostly) with the factory wiring diagram labeled, 'Late Model' that appears in the 71 FSM Supplement.  The next available FSM wiring diagram appears in the 72 edition of the service manual (and probably a lot of the 'transition' cars' built in the few months leading up to the formal start of MY-72 in/around Oct 1971).  Your car's Sep-71 build date falls squarely in that transition period, so who knows what you've got and what wiring diagram and PN apply.  There is a label with the PN that's taped into the Instrument Harness loom, but you'd have to pull the dash to find it.

FWIW, the owners manual that was shipped with your car might have a wiring diagram at the back.  In the case of my May-70 car, this version has proven to be the only one (of the three or four possible) that accurately depicts the wiring and switching that's in my car.  If you have an owners manual and you know that it's the one that was shipped with the car from the factory, it may prove to be the only accurate reference for your car's wiring.

SteveJ is an expert on these cars' electrical details, so perhaps he can comment further.

The equipment anomalies of the MY71-MY72 'transition cars' has been the subject of owner comments in many past threads on this site.