IGNORED

Headlamp harness Connectors

TomoHawk

Can you get those big rubber grommets?  I'll bet others would be interested to get the bucket sealed up again, after the little rubber seal falls away.

I thought my bucket wires were of slightly different sizes too. The main harness wires were definitely heavier, I'd say about 14 gauge, or maybe 12.

will that connector fit an H4 bulb too?  It would really simplify an H4 upgrade.

Edited by TomoHawk

I checked and double checked. My 77 uses three different gauges all the way out to the bulb. Like I said though, I don't know what other years did.

Those grommets are actually Mitsubishi power antenna drain tube grommets. Find one on an Eclipse or Diamonte and probably other Mitsubishis as well. I grabbed three of them last time I was at the yard. One for each headlight bucket, and one (you guessed it) for my antenna drain! I think it was a little tight to get into the antenna hole in the body, but once it's in there it's snug and certainly way better than the dry rotted non-existent grommet that was in there before. I put a small ty-wrap on the antenna tube as well just to make it as well sealed as I could. Anyway... I'm getting off topic.

Back to the headlight buckets. I cut the holes on the back of the buckets large enough such that I could get the connector off the back of the bulb and get the connector out through the hole from the rear. And your question about the H4 bulbs is exactly why... At some point, I'm thinking that I might upgrade to H4's and it would sure be nice to be able to get the bulb out the back as well without having to drop the buckets.

So, the bottom line is that was my intention, but I haven't tried it. Hole might not be big enough. 

Before you purchase AMP or WeatherPack terminals check out Deutsch Terminals.The big advantage to Deutsch Terminals is the ease of dis-assembly. They are also more compact than AMP/WeatherPack connectors. They are used extensively in Industrial equipment, Marine and are very popular on Race cars.

Their main advantage over AMP connectors is ease of assembly and especially dis-assembly. All connectors pull out from the back side of the connectors and can literally be disassembled with a small hooked piece if wire. The crimpers can be bought on E-Bay for as little as $28.

They come in various ratings to handle different amperage. I use the DT series ( 13 amps per pin ) for just about everything, although you can go up to the DTP series for high amp draws ( 25 amps per pin ).

Pico is a main distributor and any Napa or Autozone should be able to get them. Summit, Jegs and places like WireCare.com also stock them. My local Mum and Pop Auto store stocks them now. Bikers love them.

Once you use Deutsch connectors, you will never go back to AMP or WeatherPack. Some links:

https://www.wirecare.com/deutsch-connectors.asp?type=industrial&series=dt&contacts=2

http://www.picowiring.com/pdf/Cat-30.pdf

Narvas-new-range-of-Deutsch-Connectors-6

Edited by Chickenman

Can  you post a link to the crimper?  Is the  the fancy crimper for the blade contacts?

They seem very affordable.  If you are considering purchasing one, remember to buy the pins as they are not included.

OH- the solid pins is probably what we'd use, and the crimper for that probably looks like the cheap one you can get about anywhere.

Edited by TomoHawk

Yes I use the solid pin connectors.  The cheap E-Bay crimpers are more than sufficient for DIY Automotive use. They are a 4 crimp style. Here's one link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Way-Indent-Crimp-Tool-AWG-20-26-Harley-Deutsch-D-Sub-Caterpillar-RS232-/271839762969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4ae99a19

The expensive $200 to $300 crimpers are for Military and Aerospace specs. They have 8 crimps and fancy adjustments.

I use my $30 crimper and just move the pin down a bit after the first squeeze. Voila 8 crimps.

Edited by Chickenman

I also got a terminal crimper for the tail lamp connections.  My dad will go mad when I tell him I paid only $8 (from China) for the same crimper he paid $50 for at an airshow.  Obviously, mine isn't FAA approved...

Well, off to NAPA for some more 14gauge wire...

Edited by TomoHawk

• 2 months later...

I bought a 5-pack of 3-pin weatherseal connectors for the turn signals, but the kid used them for the headlamp connections-  they worked out well anyway.  I think we can get the headlamp buckets out when we are ready to put in some fog lamps or driving lamps, and we could tap into the wires at that point to power relays.