IGNORED

78 air intake probs

ghetto_zhetto

My coolant temp sensor is connected to absolutely nothing I've tried to look at where to connect it on the harness but I haven't found a trace of where it could have came from if it is Tue problem I will definitely fix that

And thank you I'll have to try the yogurt cup test

My coolant temp sensor is connected to absolutely nothing

DingDingDing! :victorious:

Yep, that would do it!  Fix that, and get the AFM back to spec.  I suspect your engine will be quite a bit closer to the mark.  It may still need some work after that, of course.  We'll be here to help.

PS  I meant to say that "Yotastic" is a yogurt cup that will work.  I think Yoplait is too skinny to fit.  (Of course you can use any plastic cup that will stuff snugly into the rubber boot.)

Edited by FastWoman

You're looking in the wrong spot, and maybe at the wrong sensor if you're over there.  Or you have a ZX engine with a CHTS.  Added a picture that shows where 78 wiring would be.

Here's some links to various helpful sources - 

Guides, use the 1980 one - http://www.xenons130.com/reference.html

FSM, read Engine Electrical and Engine Fuel - http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/280z/

post-19298-0-62943100-1433199302_thumb.p

From the schematic, I think you're looking for two black wires (approx 16 ga) with itsy bitsy white numbers printed on them every few inches.  One of them will have the number 13, and the other will be 49.  The #49 wire goes to ground, and the #13 wire goes to pin 13 on the ECU.  You'll need to install a Bosch-style connector on those two wires.  You can order them from Ebay ("280Z injector connectors").  As far as I'm aware, the polarity of your connection doesn't matter.  If I were you, I would order all the connectors you need to do a complete connector refresh -- at least the 2 pin connectors.  It will make your engine much more reliable.

Your coolant sensor is on the front of the engine close to the distributor, for 1978.  The wires to it come from the same harness that injector wires do.

ZX engines use a CHTS that looks just like it, but it's mounted on the back right side of the engine close to the battery.  It's pretty common to find a ZX engine in a Z.

post-19298-0-59423000-1433201208_thumb.p