IGNORED

L28+(maxima)47 build

It’s magnetic . I’ve seen enough welding splatter to know that it will burn into anything. I’m usually going a mile a minute in the shop , so I must have gotten careless . Ive built a rotisserie and numerous other things while I’ve had this head . I was waiting on a cam before I buttoned it up. 

Just bad luck. I at least salvaged the engine. Another lesson learned . 

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Carp. Well at least you caught it before it did something unrecoverable. You must have pretty good ears to have heard that issue so early!

Clean room... That's what I need.

What I heard what that #5 main I believe . It hadn’t spun yet but was ready. Or - what I heard was the piston hitting the head around the damaged areas. The holes left raised areas around them on both the piston and head. There simply wasn’t enough clearance and they were slightly tapping each other as the engine heated up and things expanded. 

Another lesson I was schooled on by my machinist. Don’t just throw new rods bolts in - ARP or otherwise without having rods re-sized a the big end. This was a budget build on the short block, but at 10$ per rod I got to cheap and that could have also caused premature wear. It was more ignorance than $$ , but don’t have that excuse anymore .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, madkaw said:

What I heard what that #5 main I believe . It hadn’t spun yet but was ready. Or - what I heard was the piston hitting the head around the damaged areas. The holes left raised areas around them on both the piston and head. There simply wasn’t enough clearance and they were slightly tapping each other as the engine heated up and things expanded. 

Another lesson I was schooled on by my machinist. Don’t just throw new rods bolts in - ARP or otherwise without having rods re-sized a the big end. This was a budget build on the short block, but at 10$ per rod I got to cheap and that could have also caused premature wear. It was more ignorance than $$ , but don’t have that excuse anymore .

So your machinist is reiterating what the rebuild book says about rod bolts affecting journal roundness or shape. Interesting...

@Captain Obvious

Did you mic a journal and then relocate the bolts yet? :ph34r:

No, I haven't taken any measurements off mine. I know I popped two of them out enough that they could have spun 180 degrees. I don't know for sure if they really did spin or not. And the two that popped out far enough that they could have spun were not on the same piston. So I know with certainty that both bolts are in their original positions on four pistons and at least one of the two bolts are correct on the other two pistons.

That's all I got right now.  I ain't skeeered.    :ph34r:  Haha!!

I think most build you can get away with just throwing in bolts , it just wasn’t my day . And there’s no true evidence that the bolts did anything to the motor, could have been a chunk of something that ate the bearing

What’s weird is my machinist kind of gave me a nick name of ‘lucky’. Can’t tell if he was being facetious or he was saying I’m lucky to have so little damage . 

One of the machinists there was admiring the L’s many main journals . “ they really got that crank locked down”, is what he said . 

Edited by madkaw

42 minutes ago, madkaw said:

What’s weird is my machinist kind of gave me a nick name of ‘lucky’. Can’t tell if he was being facetious or he was saying I’m lucky to have so little damage .

Haha! Yeah, that could go either way! And you might not want to know which way. 

I wonder if you had welding beads flying all around enough that you got one stuck to a valve guide... Who knows where else they landed??  :unsure:

11 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

You sure are "lucky"! Hope that's the last issue!!

Oh no - I can’t be that lucky . Machinist finished up the parts and when I got home I realized he scratched the head surface with his valve seat tool. I drove home 25 miles to realize he didn’t give me the actual valve he touched up- left it in the table. Then I stared at the valve seat and realized he ground it wrong . Plus I see a huge scratch on the head surface . 
I’m not even mad though- it was one of those days . My truck started to run bad in the way home - dying every time I stopped . 
Can’t be mad at my machinist either . He’s 72 and nearly died a month ago from a broken stent in his leg. He’s hands shake pretty badly , but he presses on . He was finishing up the head as I waited and I think I rushed him . He feels bad and wanted me to bring it back this evening . 
Looks like I might have to adjust my CR calculation . It will take at least 15 thou to clean this up . Maybe it will take most of the dents out too -lol. 

Edited by madkaw
  • Like 1