IGNORED

Caswell Plating

Patcon

@grannyknot

I do still plate some items, but I have some larger items that I can't plate. My tanks aren't large enough and my power supply isn't large enough. I am still unsure that my at home plating is a durable as professional plating. I sometimes have Caswell pieces that develop "white rust". I am unsure if that is a problem with my method or just the limitations of the safer chemicals. So I am going to send them out and I will get a charge for a whole rack, so I am trying to pull some things together to fill the rack up. I might use a little heat and try to get the plastic pieces out of the buckets.

I can't get to mine to check, but couldn't we machine (mill/lathe) or 3D print the plastic parts?  I know they wouldn't look OEM, but they'd serve their purpose.

Furthermore, I'm certain the rivets (as seen in the previous pics of the hatch and door parts) can be made, though staking them could be rough.

• 3 months later...

So I will update this thread so it's all here too.

I did some plating a few weeks ago and it blistered badly. I'm not sure why. I could have been my plating tank was heating properly or too much brightener.

20231112_160019_resized.jpg20231112_160117_resized.jpg20231112_160119_resized.jpg

In any event, I stripped it all down in citric acid and reprepped them for plating. This time instead of using tape to protect the chromed shafts, I used heat shrink.

20231118_092747.jpg20231223_113708_resized.jpg20231223_113708_resized_1.jpg

They did ok this time but some of it came out really pink. I left them in my blue chromate a little longer and only left them in the yellow for about 20 seconds. I was using a heat gun to dry and cure them. The last one I let air dry to see if the heat was causing the blushing.

20240102_101730_resized.jpg

I believe the one on the bottom is the one I allowed to air dry

20240102_101747_resized.jpg

The one on the far right is the air dry one. I do believe it changed when I allowed it to air dry but I was changing my chromate time too so it's hard to know the cause definitively. One point is, if you use heat shrink or even tape, it needs to be cut off ASAP. I had one that had some liquid still in it and it corroded the fresh plating where it leaked out later. Since all of this is concealed in the cowl, I'm not going to worry about it.

• Like 4