IGNORED

Seeking Some Advice About The Dash

mjr45

you could try sanding it all down to about 1/4 of and inch and glueing high density closed cell polyethylene foam on top of it.  Shape the foam so that it looks stock. then glue new vinyl onto of the foam. 

link to polyethylene foam

http://www.yourautotrim.com/1thevaclcefo.html?ref=lexity&_vs=google&_vm=productsearch&gclid=Cj0KEQjwl_6oBRDHxNGz6ueJufMBEiQAvm_k_sd6bI4UD0vEVjUNYznpt3OhoABLwZOkFoFDDYJQYm0aAgXA8P8HAQ

Yup, a better dash would be a better starting point, after looking a lot more closely at mine, there is so much material missing that I fear it would next to impossible to actually repair, there are lots and lots of small pieces of the vinyl missing, cracked and broken that I would have to virtually cover the entire thing with the bumper repair stuff and then try to return it back to original form. I'm also not real sure that it wouldn't completely disintegrate when I took it out. Thanks.

Mike

Taking a stab at this right now and I think it might be worse off than when I started! Autobody isn't my thing I guess. Filling the cracks will be the easy part, getting it smooth and in the shape you want so that black paint doesn't show where you've done work is the hard part.

I vote full dash cover. Honestly my 1/2 dash really wasn't bad at all.

I am okay with the half cap on my car though I wish the PO had smoothed the glue out a bit before putting the cap on as I can see every line of glue that was used in the form of a slight visible indentation or protrusion, not sure which.

Edited by Mikes Z car

The thing with resurfacing the dash yourself is going to be the tradeoff of factory texture and color. I jumped into my project last week without too much thought and it still turned out fairly well.

My best advice is (since you'll be doing a lot of sanding), mix your body filler components and fiberglass resin components together in a ratio to get a pancake batter consistency. It'll partially self level and sand down faster than bondo itself, while taking longer to set up.

I'll post a photo off my phone that shows a little bit how the texture turned out. I used an SEM texture spray can and semi gloss black trim paint. I'd recommend two cans of texture and a full can of spray paint. Then consider doing the same to your centre console or at the least, your glovebox door.