IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

27 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I nabbed this pic off the internets a few years ago. It's one of the Z car parts vendors five lug conversion axle mod. Unfortunately I don't remember which vendor it was from, but I'm sure someone here will recognize it. I had thought that they added material for just one lug, but looking at it again now, it appears they actually added material for TWO of the new hole locations:

5lugstub_zps3jqhzya9.jpg
Of course, the best option would be to use the completely new stub axles supplied by one of the other vendors (who's name I can't come up with either), but I know they're pricey.

Try silverminemotors.com.  They have new ones on sale, a bit pricey but they look good.

The chromoly stubs are about $1000 US a set ($1300+ Cdn)!!

That pattern is not the exact same as I have seen elsewhere. I have seen one where no extra material

Is added but the bolt holes are touching on one hole.

5 minutes ago, wheee! said:

The chromoly stubs are about $1000 US a set ($1300+ Cdn)!!

That pattern is not the exact same as I have seen elsewhere. I have seen one where no extra material

Is added but the bolt holes are touching on one hole.

Look them up on HybridZ.com in the vendors forum to see the sale ad. Sale prices are good until  31 March.

Edited by racer47201
sp
  • Like 1

They must be from a 280ZX... My friend that supplied me them had parts from both.

Here's a question though: Can I use them IF I use the supplied companion flanges as well? Will they fit the strut housings? Just order the bearing kit for the 280ZX? Too many questions...

Maybe I will just use my stock stub axles! LOL

Edited by wheee!

I've wondered the same.  I have a set of 280 ZX 2+2 CV companion flanges.  I found a somewhat confusing thread implying that there's a problem with wheel bearing sizes.  I wanted the six hole CV flange in my 280Z but I'd have to go backward to 240Z axles to use them.  Side note - it's kind of odd that Nissan went back to a smaller axle for a heavier (2+2), more powerful (turbo) car.

Here's the thread about bearing sizes.  It also has another path to 5 lugs though, that might be interesting - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/103344-280zxt-stub-axle-cv-swap/

On the topic of reinforcing the holes - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/116276-5-lug-hub-stub-axles-conversion-for-240z-260z-280z/

Seems like some thought about where the loads are distributed and how clamping forces work would be worthwhile.  People seem to be thinking that radially directed loads are the extreme ones.  Not so sure.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wheee! said:

Basically, the 280ZX stub axle has a different OD (outside diameter) where the inner and outer wheel bearings are seated, so it uses different wheel bearing than the S30. The OD of the 280ZX rear wheel bearings will not fit the S30 rear strut.

In other words, the 280ZX stub axles will not fit.

UNLESS, you mill out the tiny difference between the bearings then you can use your 280zx stubs with 240 hubs,

inside and outside bearings are the same larger OD with the smaller 280ZX ID,DSCN1294.thumb.JPG.7abae6e523c9a8d497eabDSCN1295.thumb.JPG.10eb850cca97e79bafbd5DSCN1296.thumb.JPG.3bd8d373d21733fcc733e

• Like 1

Basically, the 280ZX stub axle has a different OD (outside diameter) where the inner and outer wheel bearings are seated, so it uses different wheel bearing than the S30. The OD of the 280ZX rear wheel bearings will not fit the S30 rear strut.

In other words, the 280ZX stub axles will not fit.

UNLESS, you mill out the tiny difference between the bearings then you can use your 280zx stubs with 240 hubs,

inside and outside bearings are the same larger OD with the smaller 280ZX ID,DSCN1294.thumb.JPG.7abae6e523c9a8d497eab24c5d41c4b1.JPGDSCN1295.thumb.JPG.10eb850cca97e79bafbd5e5c88812f6c.JPGDSCN1296.thumb.JPG.3bd8d373d21733fcc733e96be50b1cb4.JPG

Cool! Won't help me and the 280 hubs I have though...

I'll hang onto these in case someone else can use them.

One of the guys in that Hybridz thread talked about doing the same to use 300ZX (Z31) 5 lug axles, with 280Z hubs.  He said it was 72mm also though.  Seems like there are many ways to get there.  Machine the hubs, machine the bearings, machine the axles, Redi-sleeve the bearings, Redi-sleeve the axles, drill what you got.  Buy aftermarket.

• Like 1

One of the guys in that Hybridz thread talked about doing the same to use 300ZX (Z31) 5 lug axles, with 280Z hubs.  He said it was 72mm also though.  Seems like there are many ways to get there.  Machine the hubs, machine the bearings, machine the axles, Redi-sleeve the bearings, Redi-sleeve the axles, drill what you got.  Buy aftermarket.

LOL No shortage of options! I think I will just drill the stock parts I have!