What Cleaner To Use On Hardware Without Removing Original Plating - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

What Cleaner To Use On Hardware Without Removing Original Plating

Featured Replies

Hello everyone. I have some nuts, bolts, clamps basically hardware that are in pretty good shape. I would like to soak them overnight in a liquid cleaning solution such as simple green or Castrol's super clean. Does anyone have a recommendation on what to use that won't remove the original plating?

 

Thanks!

Grease - Purple Power

Rust - Evapo Rust

concentrated simple green is stronger than most people give it credit, and its easier to deal with that noxious chemicals

  • Author

thanks for the replies! I am assuming Simple Green will remove paint off of hardware if soaked long enough?

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I've never seen Simple green remove paint before but it will etch polished aluminium if left on too long.

There should be no paint on your hardware.  All of it should be yellow zinc.  Soak it in Mineral Spirits or Carb cleaner.

  • Author

I've never seen Simple green remove paint before but it will etch polished aluminium if left on too long.

 

Ok thanks!

 

There should be no paint on your hardware.  All of it should be yellow zinc.  Soak it in Mineral Spirits or Carb cleaner.

Thanks for the tip. I did notice some hardware being silver zinc? For example the  flat head Philips screw door latch on the b pillar

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.