IGNORED

How To Adjust Choke Cable In A 72 240Z

jalexquijano

My car has been running fine since i finally managed to adjust both round top 3 screws su carbs. However, i do sometimes noticed that if i suddenly bump with the choke lever in the console, the yellow lights comes up. I decided then to move the lever up and down to see what happens. WRONGGGGG!!!! Now the cable got worse, the lever wont go up all the way as it did before and if i start the car its too cold. I tried tightening the screw in the console but it did nothing. Should i take the air filter out and unscrew both cables fastened at each of the carbs to see if it releases the pressure and goes back? I have never adjusted these choke cables before, i have left this issue always to my mechanic. Can someone guide me in the correct direction to solve this problem by myself without trying to get a mechanic tomorrow saturday?  I know i shouldnt have played with the lever but now its too late and i need to get this sorted out.

First, the yellow light is just an "indicator" light that the choke is on, (handle is not in the down position).  It's activated by a small switch in the console. 

Based on your description, I'd first lift-up the console and make certain that the lever and cable mounts are not bent, broken and still mounted securely to the console.   It's not uncommon for the plastic mounting points on console to strip or break....

If you remove the ashtray you should be able to hold the assembly with your hand and move the choke lever.  That's how I've been doing mine since I broke the plastic mounts under the console.

I've got one of these, just haven't had the time to install it. http://datsunpartsllc.com/cart/index.php?p=product&id=225&parent=5 

If your chokes aren't moving your nozzles on the bottom of the carbs could be stuck, happened to a set I have.

Also it's a good idea not to grab the choke handle by the knob when pulling it in the choke position, if it's tight. I've broken off a couple in my time, including the posts where it's fastened too, all due to a tight cable. Now after freeing up the cable I usually pull it back by grabbing the handle underneath close to where the setscrew is.

Refresh

As mentioned above, the cables gum-up inside the sheath over the years so refreshing is a good first step.

Here is a thread on it: http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/41033-lubricatingrefreshing-cables/

Connect Correctly

Also make sure that when you connect the cable ends to the carbs, that when the choke lever is in the off position, the jets are not at all pushed down.

If the choke cable and carbs are not connected correctly, the cables may inadvertently push the jets down when the choke is in the off position. This will cause rich running and possibly a carb imbalance too. 

If you remove the ashtray you should be able to hold the assembly with your hand and move the choke lever.  That's how I've been doing mine since I broke the plastic mounts under the console.

I've got one of these, just haven't had the time to install it. http://datsunpartsllc.com/cart/index.php?p=product&id=225&parent=5 

If your chokes aren't moving your nozzles on the bottom of the carbs could be stuck, happened to a set I have.

I like that solution.  Probably how it "should" have been originally mounted.