IGNORED

Still Deciding On Which Carter Electric Fuel Pump To Purchase

jalexquijano

I am in the middle of the decisión of purchasing either of the following CARTER fuel pumps for my 240z which carries 2 Hitachi SU carbs:

http://www.amazon.com/Carter-P4070-Electric-Fuel-Pump/dp/B000CIQ5DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420074603&sr=8-1&keywords=Carter+P4070

or

http://www.amazon.com/Carter-P60504-Electric-Fuel-Pump/dp/B000BZX92K/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1420074677&sr=1-1&keywords=carter+p60504

Which one would be more recomendable? Will i also need to purchase a regulator?

I run the 4070 on my 260Z endurance racer running 3 screw SU's.  It works great.  I use a Facet cube pump to fill the surge tank and the Carter 4070 to feed the engine.  The surge tank allows me to use all the fuel in the tank.  Prior to installing it, I couldn't get all the fuel out of the stock fuel tank, but with the surge tank installed, I can run two full hours on a tank.  The car runs for up to 26 straight hours on the track, so performance and durability are critical.  The 2.8L engine puts out about 175 RWHP.
 post-7184-0-17225500-1420122718_thumb.jppost-7184-0-10305800-1420122745_thumb.jp

Why not purchase an airtex E8016S off amazon. It's made in usa all the hoses and clips are high quality and it's only 27 dollars. It's 3.5psi. I run mine without a rregulator and it never over fills the bowels as long as ur float needle is in good shape. The pump has a bypass anything exceeding 4 psi of pressure. It's also extremely quiet. I have mine mounted where the mechanical pump wad.

I installed the Carter 60504 pump on my lime green '72 240z a few years ago.  I ended up having to install a fuel pressure regulator as the pressure was at 4psi or slightly more and was pushing fuel out of the front of the carbs.  I installed a Holley AFPR and dialed it down to 2.5psi and had no problems for the rest of the time I owned the car.

Not to highjack, but Jeff how does the surge tank help pull all the fuel out of the tank?

Charles

Without the surge tank, the main tank pickup will suck air in the corners and create fuel starvation to the engine.  With the surge tank, the main tank pickup will pull fuel down the straightaways to fill the 1/2 gallon surge tank.  The surge tank has plenty of capacity to feed the engine through the corners.  

The only downside is that once the main tank is empty and the 1/2 gallon surge tank runs dry, the engine quits with no warning.  The good thing is that on an average track, we can extend our runs from about 1 hour and 40 minutes to a full 2 hours which is the maximum driver stint time allowed.  

• 4 weeks later...

I installed the Carter 60504 pump on my lime green '72 240z a few years ago.  I ended up having to install a fuel pressure regulator as the pressure was at 4psi or slightly more and was pushing fuel out of the front of the carbs.  I installed a Holley AFPR and dialed it down to 2.5psi and had no problems for the rest of the time I owned the car.

So you do not recommend this electric fuel pump? I read good reviews on it!