IGNORED

Tough Tuning Question

240260280z

LOL it's Steves 260z... I visited with him and we had a blast tuning it.

The PO left us scratching our heads/ cursing many times....for example the locking nuts on the rocker (lash) adjuster pivots must have been 100 ft-lbs... some were so tight it took two of us on a wrench to loosen.

The vacuum advance canister had a leak so there was no vacuum advance; only mechanical. This makes the 32 degrees observed [AT IDLE] even more difficult to accept.

So, here's the update. I replaced the plug wires last night and ran the engine today. I found the rear carburetor wasn't pulling as much air, so I increased the air flow to match the front. I did a test that Philip showed me that he called the "equally $h!++y test" and found the rear carburetor was pulling its own.

My previous post was a little premature. I played with the timing some tonight and went to re-tune the carburetors after dropping the timing down. The rear carburetor was weak again. Following Mr. Warner & Mr. Pilgrim's suggestion, I attack the rear carburetor with starting fluid and heard the RPMs increase when I sprayed around the insulator between the manifold and carburetor. All four nuts were loose. I tightened the nuts and finished adjusting the carburetors. The rear behaved much better.

• Like 1

It has sparked debate on the triples about the balance tube and tuning with it attached. I set my triples without the balance tune first, then I balance with it installed . I would think in most cases with SU's it would not be necessary , but in a weird deal like this it might be required.