IGNORED

Best strut / brake caliper combo for a track car...

240k Style

Could anyone suggest what would be the biggest caliper i could get into a 16' or maybe even 17' rim?

Ideally i'd like to run a coilover setup with camber tops and the biggest brake caliper i could find. The back is getting the disc brake mod done...

...so any suggestions/advice would be great.

Kid-K is sure to have some great ideas

• 1 year later...

• 4 months later...

Check out arizonazcar.com   They have some pretty good stuff if you want to go coil overs, camber plates and Willwood Brakes. They also show you how to do it on their website. I used their Ground Control coil overs and Willwood brakes on my 72. I'm very happy with their products.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have the Wilwood's on my street/track 240 and the 240 race car has the Z31 with Porterfield pads.

Since the race car is run in vintage events, I'd get kicked up into "A" production (big block V8s), if I installed the Wilwood brakes but I only get pushed into "B" production with the Z31s.

While I really like the stopping power of the Wilwoods, the Z is more a momentum car and I can get a years worth of track time (10-15 days) on a set of pads (car weighs in at 2368 with me and 8 gallons of 110). Learning to let the car hang out a bit takes time. Being able to hit the brakes and have them do all the work is easier, but as my hippie, 1970s California SCCA instructor said - "Braking is negative acceleration and we don't do negative".

So if this is just a track day car, the Wilwoods make a good case for themselves based on cost and performance.

• Like 1