Checking rear wheel bearings - Wheels & Brakes - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Checking rear wheel bearings

Featured Replies

Hello all

I drove a tad over 250 miles today for the holiday and I'm hearing an odd noise from the rear. What is the best way to check the rear bearings on these lovely cars? Should it leave the wheel on and just yank on the it or should I take the wheel and drum off and just move the hub itself. Any opinions would be lovely.

Thanks

Jan

Edited by Pomorza

I'd leave the wheels on and grab the tires and rock them around up/down and side/side. You need the mechanical amplification of the tire diameter to feel for looseness. If you are measuring right at the hub, the amount of movement is reduced because your fulcrum is shorter.

Mine were pretty loose and even as loose as they were, I couldn't really tell by grabbing just the hub.

And yeah... It's a PITA.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.