IGNORED

My car rides like Poo :(

peng155

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the great input... I drove the car around a bit yesterday, on city streets the car handles pretty well, the ride is firm, which I expect for the 'Z'... but when I go over say expansion joint bumps in the road... it is IMO a bit harsh...

When I got it out on the Freeway at 55+ the car does feel likes as you put it "Floaty"... minor steering wheel input to keep the car centered in the lane, translates to over correction... so it seems like I'm always correcting left/right to keep the car centered in the lane.

When I get home tonight I'll try your suggestions and make adjustments to the shock settings... take the car out and see what differences it makes...

Thanks again....

I agree, it is probably the springs as you suspect.

Softer stock springs a bigger front swaybar, poly end links, and ball-and-socket tension/compression rod fittings would be a nice upgrade to consider.

Ball and socket compression rods; he would feel every jolt. Don't put poly anywhere in your drive train, only in the suspension.

Eibach are progressives right? You can't cut them without messing things up I believe. Too bad stock springs don't exist anymore. We had some made many years ago and sold by Courtesy, but I think they are gone.

The Vogtland springs seem like a possibility. Not stock, but only one inch+ lower. Here's a fairly recent thread on them. You'll have to click through some links to other forums and web sites to get a good view of where they're at. Looks like they just worked some bugs out of the ordering process.

Edit - here's a more direct link http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/117631-new-s30-shock-and-spring-option/page-2#entry1118171

Edited by Zed Head

+1 on the ball/socket T/C rod thingums. I took mine out and replaced with new rubber bushings ( I found the plastic parts were cracked after about 10K miles FWIW). I got tired of the steering harshness over bumps etc. I actually replaced my Eibachs with my original stock springs as I thought the ride too harsh for my 69 year old butt. I also replaced the poly bushings with new rubber front and rear. Admittedly the car doesn't handle as crisply as before, but I also don't drive as aggressively as I used to, either. It's all a trade off. It still drives great and the ride is much improved. To each his own.

Cheers, Mike

Hey Guy's

I thought I'd post up an update on my ride quality issues....

I'm afraid to admit this but part of my problem was low air pressure in the tires..... they were about 30psi.... I filled them up to 33psi.... and that helped the ride quality quite a bit.... I also spoke to a friend and he thinks If I replace the tires that'll help some more since he thinks the tires are probably alot less plyable due to age....

Since the car will be going back into storage soon with fall on the way..... new tires can wait till next spring....

Thanks for all of the suggestions, help, and info...