IGNORED

260Z with turbo kit

Bpaccaud

Someone can tell me about turbo kit on a 260Z? i find one a 2+2 with a turbo kit (from UK i suppose).

The assambly have a jaguard carburator on it, and the engine run bad, after when the car don't turn for several month.

What did you think about this kit? how many power?

reliability, and performances?

Bpaccaud,

from what you have described this setup sounds early 80s design. It has the Jaguar carby, is it= (1 X 50cm or 2X38cm SU) does it have kkk turbo. If so it is probably designed for low boost low maintenance application it should be pretty good and reliable maybe some rework on the carby might fix it up.

Does it have water injection . does it have a pressure distributor advance. If you have these items it might indicate a diffrent setup.

My 2c

cheers

Steve:classic:

That sounds like a "JANSPEED" conversion from the late Seventies / early Eighties.

JANSPEED were ( still are ) a UK-based company run by ex-racer Mr Jan Odor. As far as I remember, Mr Odor was born in Holland and came to the UK in the 1960's to work at famed Mini tuners Downton Engineering.

He set up his own company in the early Seventies and became very successful - providing hard race parts and tuning gear for BMC products. He very soon moved onto Nissan / Datsun parts as he reckoned they offered more potential for cost-effective tuning. They used to have a very large inventory of Nissan / Datsun related tuning parts, but not so much now. They had a fairly close relationship with Datsun UK in the old days, and I have to say that the quality of their parts was very good for the time.

The Janspeed turbo conversion used a Rotomaster turbine sucking through a single 2 inch SU carburettor, and they left the engine internals alone - so boost was limited to just 5psi. The kit also included an oil-cooler setup.

Figures of 0-60mph in 6.6 secs. and 15.3 for the standing quarter-mile were quoted for an otherwise-stock UK-spec. RS30 260Z.

Above figures and the photo below are from "The Z Series Datsuns" by Ray Hutton ( published by MRP in 1982 - ISBN no. 0 947981 02 0 ) which is actually quite a good little book.

If you want to get in touch with JANSPEED I'm sure they can give you any data that you might need. Let me know if you want me to track down their contact numbers.

Alan T.

post-2116-14150792488941_thumb.jpg

Good to hear from you Alan, I was trying to remenber the other turbo that was common back then RAJAY. I must admit I can definately help with the general data about what Ben has found, as the Kit you showed is identical to what we in Australia where fitting in the early 80's too. I am glad you now about Janspeed. That should really help Ben.

Cheers

Steve:classic:

The turbo kit that I bought for my 240Z was a copy of the Janspeed kit.

I modified the intake section & made a proper long-runner & plenum setup for multipoint EFI.

(At first we just put injectors in the original setup, but there was just no volume....).

At the end of the day, it ran very well, but with draw-through & intercooling the throttle response was a bit soggy.

And the O-trim TO4 was far too large....

Red_Z_Engine_Bay_4.jpg

:bunny: yes after seeing the car it was a janspeed assembly, like you explain me, i ve find a plate with janspeed registration on it number 2989, so i suppose the kit was assembling in UK at janspeed garage????!!!!!

the problem was that she run hot; and badlly if the choke was not on, when it was hot.

the car is a GRLS30 n°350411 of 1974

i give you picture soon.

since which year the z have an electronic or transistorised ignition?

Because the datsun i see was from 1974 and had a mechanics????

How the pressure régulation is done on the janspeed kit? is there water injection to cold the engine?

Hi to Ben ( Bpaccaud ), sjcurtis and the other Ben,

The points-type ignition on the GRLS30 would be correct for that year and model. As it obviously started out life as an LHD-market car I will leave it up to the LHD-spec. experts to comment on what year the electronic distributors started to be fitted from the Factory.

Bpaccaud, I would imagine that the symptoms you describe could be linked to almost any fault and not just something on the turbo conversion. However, if its running hot and likes the choke then I would be tempted to investigate that its not running much too lean. Has anybody been messing with the carburettor settings? By all accounts the Janspeed conversion is pretty simple - so not too much to go wrong. Don't quote me on that though.............

I don't believe the Janspeed kit came with water injection, and I'm not sure what you mean about pressure regulation - but the Janspeed kit was a fixed boost system if that's what you mean.

Steve ( sjcurtis ) - glad that you have practical expertise on this kind of thing as I certainly don't! I too remember the old RAJAY turbines, and do you remember brands such as HOLSET? I used to spy things like that on old diesel trucks and wonder what the hell they were.............

Ben, Janspeed made a different and probably more sophisticated kit when the injected cars made it to the UK ( the S130 series ). Was a copy / similar design to that system also used in Australia? Maybe they licensed the design or something.

I did Janspeed a dis-service by saying in my previous post that they were founded in the early Seventies. In fact, Jan Odor started the company back in 1962. Here's the latest information that I have if you want to contact them to ask for any data that they might still have:

JANSPEED ENGINEERING LTD.

CASTLE ROAD, SALISBURY, WILTSHIRE SP1 3SQ

tel: 01722 321833

fax: 01722 412308

Good luck,

Alan T.

thanks Alan

Did you think that the plate with the number 2989 from janspeed show that the kit was assembling in UK directly and did you think this kit is profit for the car value?

I mean for the pressure regulation if it's juste mécanic or if there was an electrovanne, with a knock sensor, and a timing ajustement according to the pressure?

You are most welcome.

I should imagine that the numbered plaque would indicate that JANSPEED themselves fitted the kit to the car. I can't think that they would want to endorse it in this way unless they had ensured the quality of the installation. It might be a good idea to try contacting them for their advice.

As the kit was so simple I do not believe that it had any adjustment or external control, and that the distributor advance was pretty much the same as a stock engine. Best to confirm this with JANSPEED themselves or with sjcurtis and Ben, as I profess no in-depth knowledge of turbo installations that would be of any help to you. I've seen these kits on some UK cars and it does indeed look very basic. Owners report very good peformance considering its a bolt-on.............

With regard to the JANSPEED kit and the numbered plaque, I have to be honest and tell you that I don't think it would increase its value significantly. Bear in mind its fitted to a 2+2 model, which generally speaking attain lower prices than 2 seaters do. I guess its worth whatever the most enthusiastic buyer is willing to pay for it.

Alan T.

ROFL i can buy this car perhaps for 1500 euros, but there was to years it was outside, and the rust have done his job, back of the rear fender near the exhaust muffler (and the opposite side too )are rusty as far as the rear bumper; the front rail are rusty one the sway bar bolt-on, and behind the front wheels you see the rail and this area is rusty and i bang on with a little hammer and i have done a hole on it (on the two side of the car) but inside the rail is not rusty.

the car is a second hand, and it have only 24000kms(not sure)

But actualy it don't start, (i return on friday to start it)

the inside is in good condition.

What did you think about the deal, how many money did you think i can pay for it?