IGNORED

My new baby 72 240z

post-26258-14150829163994_thumb.jpg

this is my new baby(AND GRAND BABY'S), thanks to my wife, it's my birthday present, came off the trailer just before i had to leave for work tonight. So i still haven't had time to really check it out. I drove it around the block everything so far seems nice and tight for a quick inspection. Overall very happy cant wait to get registered :D.

Well I was bored at work overnight internet surfing looking for Z's for sale for ****s & giggles not that I could afford it, so I thought. I mentioned to my wife that I'd seen a few Z's out there. I figured I would plant the seed. So I sent her a couple links not being serious. This one stood from the bunch by far. there were a few RB swaps out there. That would by my dream swap they were all craigs list ads and spending this kind of money I was a little leery buying out of state RB or not. this one was actually from a dealer Gateway Classic Cars - classic cars for sale, muscle cars for sale, street rods, hot rods, mopars, antique cars, vintage cars. then she sup-prized me and said call them see what they're talking about. Now i hate calling, or going to see a car empty handed, that's the first rule. I called anyway I ended up talking him down from 12,995 to 11,500. So she said lets make a deposit and it's on from there. It is pretty solid I got a chance to check it out a little better today, I found a couple bubbles, one set on the drivers door on the bottom and one on the rocker on the other side. but other that everything is SOLID. paint is pretty good the pictures definitely look better. there are a few chips and black over spray you can see up close. but all in all so far I'm completely satisfied. it has a 2.8 and tight 5 speed centerforce clutch, It feels like a stock 2.8 so far. just around the block. it does have Delorto carbs though. which I have no idea how to tune. If any of you guys have any info on tuning these carbs I'm guessing they're pretty much close to webbers. Any way enough rambling let me know what you guys think good or bad:cool:

post-26258-14150829173318_thumb.jpg

post-26258-14150829173785_thumb.jpg

post-26258-14150829174245_thumb.jpg

post-26258-14150829174701_thumb.jpg

post-26258-14150829175169_thumb.jpg

post-26258-14150829175629_thumb.jpg

HELP!!!!! Sun. morning I go out to a show and me and my luck the engine must have over heated and blew my heater hose dumping hot coolant all over the pass floor. I cut the heater hose and connected it to the port coming out of the cylinder head in the back and put some water in and limped home. I've read numerous threads here and on hybridz and from what I can tell the best thing to delete the heater would be to plug the ports on the engine versus what I did. I guess what my ultimate question is what caused it to overheat in the first place? I'm pretty sure my Delorto's need to be tuned and maybe rebuilt. They idle really high also fall flat around 4500 rpm, also noticed fuel dripping from the first one last time. I'm not sure if that has to do with the carb's or if it is internal. the first thing I'll do is change the thermostat and plug the holes. from the mishap on Sun. If anyone else has had similar problems maybe can offer some advice.

When my timing is set right it runs cooler, too much advance makes it run hotter. Back it up some and see. I think properly adjusted valves help too. Make sure you have the right spark plugs, NGK BP6ES, gapped .039-.043. Just a couple of ideas, good luck.

Hell, I forgot the most common. Check the resistance of your fan's clutch, it shouldn't spin too easy. A cheap thermostat has a smaller hole than a Nissan one. Get a Nissan 180. Take the cap off and let it get up to heat and see if coolants flowing across the top of the radiator nice and steady, you may need a new water pump. I put a new clutch and pump on both my '72s as well as the Nissan thermostat when I first bought them, cheap insurance. $50. Does yours have a shroud like the 280s or just the smaller piece on top? I'm thinking of putting a complete shroud on my 240 like the 280 has. A lot of folks run twin electric fans too. Lots of possibilities on over heating.

OK scratch about half of what I said, I looked at your pictures. Can you adjust the temp for when the fans cut on?

Edited by siteunseen

I think the fan's are wired to stay on. they come on when I turn the engine on and I don't think they turn off to be honest I don't remember looking at the gage before it popped so I may be completely wrong it may not even be a over heating issue but I'm definitely going to change the thermostat anyway and check for overheating I guess I have to take the dash out to check the hoses and connections I hope I'm just panicking and it was more dramatic than damaging

You can see the hoses down in the passengers floor board to the left, on the tunnel where they go into the heater valve. https://www.google.com/search?q=240z+heater+valve+location&rlz=1C1BOFA_enUS494US494&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Qly0U4DGI8qV8gHasoHYAw&ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=620

Maybe it was just a weak hose? I've read the aftermarket hoses aren't as good as OE braided ones from Nissan. Somebody could have used straight heater hose and got it pinched making the bend and caused it to burst. Also read you can get the heater core out without removing the dash but it's a PITA. Removing the dash would also be a huge PITA.