IGNORED

Do they still make glasspacks like this? (pics)

porkbun

Im replacing/refurbishing my Datsun Competition exhaust and im not sure I can replicate the exhaust sound. Old exhaust is rusting apart so I think its time to save what I can and replace what I dont think is worth the effort. Heres what the complete exhaust looks like:

file.php?id=6587

post-27925-14150828850304_thumb.jpg

Then this happened

post-27925-14150828850685_thumb.jpg

Top glasspack broke off! Not only was the glasspack a 2in inlet to a 1.5in outlet(already impossible to find) but the interior looks completely different than the modern glasspacks.

Modern:

post-27925-14150828851057_thumb.jpg

Original

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-QtZ2x3NiWQw/UYunJpST29I/AAAAAAAALFA/2gjvkhMrIBM/w903-h677-no/IMG_1640.JPG

Is there any way for me to get the hornets back in my car?

Why are you stuck on 1.5" outlet? That's going to be hard to find alright.

The interior looks like a typical glass pack that I've seen.

My glasspacks have given out and the drone is back:(

I'm going with magna flow 4" round mufflers with SS mesh construction - hopefully last longer then the 20$ glasspacks

Definitely going to hard to find if anyone anywhere still makes them but the sound was like nothing youve ever heard and sounds completely different than every other car on the road. 2" is the smallest I can find and they sound alright but theyre nothing special. Probably going have to learn how to weld so I can cut them up and get that sound back. Here are a couple more short vids. This one is with the complete exhaust (2 glasspacks, 2 resonator/glasspacks)

And this is one with top glasspack broken off. You can hear how different it sounds at idle while the new glasspacks sound like the green 260Z

I didnt install it, im guessing it was installed back in the day at some dealership along with the Racer Brown cam aka "Slalom camshaft" in the comp. catalog. I know 2" is probably too big and true duals make less power but if its made it 43 years like this I dont really see a reason to change it (plus ive got power to spare ;):stupid:LOL). I think the small outlet helps a bit but I think whats making that raspy noise is the interior of the glasspack. Ive still never seen anything like those fins inside. A big issue I noticed coming from the straight pipes is the resonance at about 2k and im not sure a homemade glasspack would help with that (or honestly how that works). I know a bunch of people probably think im crazy for wanting my car to sound like a bees nest but after a while you really start to like it. Magical fins?

post-27925-14150828854615_thumb.jpg

Yup I think its part 99996-E1045? I think the header is salvageable as its pretty thick and the pipes probably could be saved but I feel like that woud cost more than getting them replaced.

"There were no true center resonators at all, but some drawings appear to show an additional pair of glasspacks in the pipes that go across the car just behind the rear suspension."

This is the style I have on my car

"It was possible to order a pair of straight pipes to replace the mufflers for competition use. (Race tracks had no dB limits back then. The sound must have glorious!)"

You seriously need earplugs with straight pipes! After a 1/2 hour drive my ears were ringing and im sure my neighbors loved it. Ill try and get the videos off of facebook(theyre not public) on here but the camera cant do it any justice since you didnt just hear it, you felt it going by