IGNORED

Narrowest Stock Wheel?

Thanks for the additional suggestions guys.

One other thing my "plan" provides is reducing the overall width of my spare. The accordion spare is on a 5" wheel and pretty much bumps against the underside of the false wood floor. And believe it or not, but because of the significant offset difference, the space saver wheel (the one that fits the rear but not the front) bumps up against it as well. You would expect the space saver to be narrower, and the rubber portion is. But because of the offset built into the metal portion, the overall width is about the same.

Moving that space saver rubber to a narrow Z wheel will allow me to drop the height of that false wood floor and gain some valuable space back there.

Of course, a can of fix-a-flat is thinner yet, and a AAA card is thinnest of all! :)

another option - get a tire plugger kit and a spark plug air pump, both of which are small and inexpensive.

fix-a-flat can make a real mess of your tire & rim, and isn't permanent. i am of the old-school camp that doesn't mind having a tire plugged (yes, it does have a balance offset effect, but it stays put so you can re-balance if needed). tires are expensive, punctures are (in my experience) mostly nails/screws and easily plugged.

the spark plug pump is quicker than the cigarette lighter variety, smaller/lighter, and has and doesn't run out like compressed air cartridges.

i can usually plug a tire, re-inflate and get back on the road as quicker than jacking up the car (dangerous on the side of the road) and yanking lugs and swapping tires, and once fixed, you're done - no need to do it again to replace the spare w/a new tire.

just my .02

(and i also carry a AAA card, just in case)

another option - get a tire plugger kit and a spark plug air pump, both of which are small and inexpensive.

Well you do know that some of this is your fault, right? I was just trying to get a spare in there that worked, but then you go and tell me about how you lowered your wood deck floor for more room. Now I have to do that too.

I was happy with just a reliable spare before you went and did that!! :D

oops!

but i do have to say it's nice being able to fit more than a pocket pack of kleenex or a cd (laying flat) in the back area of my hatch... i actually use my z for getting groceries (when it runs) and the increase in cargo space w/the lower floor, while only a couple of inches, makes a big difference.

i guess i'm a "real" forum member now, as it seems i've officially influenced another member w/some wildass idea!

up until now, it's been all you characters feeding me money-sucking temptations ;)