IGNORED

My Datsun 280Z "Rustoration"

HaZmatt

Nice build so far. Good that it worked out okay with Rebello..

Are you going to put any type of air filter on those carbs, because if not I don't think it would be nice for engine internals sucking up road dirt..

Yes, I will be getting the K&N filter set up. 

I sanded down the letters on my red valve cover. Used 100 grit then 320 then some scotchbrite pads to shine them up. I think it looks pretty good.

I also just ordered new valve cover bolts, spark plug wires, and a heat shield from Datsun Spirit.

post-28616-0-16179800-1421111315_thumb.j

post-28616-0-78980400-1421111343_thumb.j

post-28616-0-43718300-1421111366_thumb.j

post-28616-0-83676300-1421111390_thumb.j

post-28616-0-42583100-1421111413_thumb.j

post-28616-0-01648100-1421111429_thumb.j

Valve cover looks great!  

I used stainless allen head bolts from a local fastener supplier when I did mine.

Just use a less expensive oil filter like a NAPA gold for the first one.  I just assume your going to use a non detergent oil to break it in & change it pretty quick since its a all new rebuilt motor.

I think that restoring one of these babes teaches all kinds of good life lessons, especially ones that involve dealing with other homo sapiens.  Glad that you feel better about your engine and hopeful that it's a screamer for the awesome car you've been rebuilding.  Just think, you could become a UN diplomat now!  Keep doing what you're doing and you'll have a sweetheart.  Press on!

Nice work and nice photos!  You are further along than I am, but I see that you abandoned the FI in favor of triples.  I'd be real interested in comparing fuel system notes with you since I plan to do the same.  If you have then time (and interest) PM me.  

Valve cover looks great!  

I used stainless allen head bolts from a local fastener supplier when I did mine.

Just use a less expensive oil filter like a NAPA gold for the first one.  I just assume your going to use a non detergent oil to break it in & change it pretty quick since its a all new rebuilt motor.

Thats good advice. Thanks.

I think that restoring one of these babes teaches all kinds of good life lessons, especially ones that involve dealing with other homo sapiens.  Glad that you feel better about your engine and hopeful that it's a screamer for the awesome car you've been rebuilding.  Just think, you could become a UN diplomat now!  Keep doing what you're doing and you'll have a sweetheart.  Press on!

Very true! Thanks

Nice work and nice photos!  You are further along than I am, but I see that you abandoned the FI in favor of triples.  I'd be real interested in comparing fuel system notes with you since I plan to do the same.  If you have then time (and interest) PM me.  

Will do, it was a tough decision. Honestly I probably would've been happy either way but I'm more of an old school kinda guy and just love the look and sound of triple carbs on a L6!

Hey Haz, a little off topic but you wouldn't by any chance still have the BCDD for your 75 would you? If so was it working that you know of? I started a thread about an issue I'm having with mine and not sure which direction I'm going to take yet. Whether to remove it or not that is. If yours is working would you want to part with it?

Bob