IGNORED

Greasing the universals on the drive shafts?

Healeyalt

I've got a 76 2+2 and I'm wondering about greasing the universals on the drive shafts; there aren't any zerk fittings, but it looks like there are some screws; do I remove the screw and put a zerk fitting on to get grease in the universal and then put the screw back? If so, anyone remember what size metric zerk?

Thanks

Gary

If it isn't greaseable, don't grease it. Most greaseable U-joints are weaker because they either have a threaded hole drilled in the cross to mount the zerk or the cross is hollow to get the grease to the bearings. Non-greaseable U-joints are the way to go if you have an option.

Yes, the screws are removed, replaced with Zerk fttings, grease applied, then screws re-inserted. Take some time to find a socket that will fit the Zerk fittings, you might have to grind one down to fit in the tight area. Even the screws will be difficult to remove, make sure you use a good-fitting screwdriver and don't strip the slot. They can be very tight.

You'll probably use the same Zerk fitting so just buying a range of small, fine-thread Zerk fittings will probably get you there. Sometimes you'll actually find a short one that is left in place.

Also, you might have to grind the sides of your grease gun tip to get it to fit in the tiny space of the u-joint. Or find a thin wall tip. Or, just take the screw out and use a rubber tipped nozzle to insert the grease. Then you won't need a Zerk fitting.

I missed jmortensen's post somehow. I think that by 76 Nissan was doing the greased then sealed with a screw joints from the factory.

Don't try to take the joints apart whatever you do. They were assembled with precision ground locking clips to set the clearance. They're actually much higher quality parts than what you can get from a parts store. Nissan replacements cost about $80 and come with a set of varied thickness clips so that you can set perfect tolerance.

If & when you are going to change them, I recommend Spicer u-joints if you're not going to use Nissan. Cheap u-joints can cause or aggravate driveshaft vibration. A fairly common problem on Zs. The local driveshaft shop I use insists on Spicer joints when balancing.

I did see in my service manual the section on different clips and how critical balance is for these. I wasn't planning on taking them apart and they still do seem tight. I was hoping there was a way to shoot a little grease in them to make sure they aren't drying out. Thanks again for the great info guys.