IGNORED

Nose High '72

I had to cut more than one full coil from my front springs when I installed new Eibach springs. My car sat about 1" high in the front. I used a Dremel rotary tool and thick carbide cutting disks. Took about 15 minutes to cut each spring. I then ground the coil end to better fit in the mount, though I probably didn't need to do that.

My car now sits level front to back.

Three inches difference front to rear. Are you sure the rears are still stock.? A picture would help.

I have taken some off both front and rear springs. The spring should still be firm between the top and bottom perch when the weight is off the wheel.

I used a gas torch, and cut off around 1.5 coils from memory. You could probably use a small disc grinder with a cutting disc. Cut on the angle. A hacksaw with a new blade might work, but would be awkward. I assembled the struts and lowered the car to check. Did this a couple of times. Bit of a pain.

Brian.

What springs are on the car - OE, aftermarket??? When you say new KYB struts are going on, do you mean full strut assemblies or just new shock inserts? I have Tokico HP shocks and just replaced 70's-era Interpart Mulholland springs with new Eibach Progressives. The car was level before the swap and is still level, only about 3/4" higher all around after the swap. Like zKars and olzed say, it seems you have a pre-existing condition to be identified before making other changes.

The car is box stock and very original with 128K miles, purchased from the original owner who had full documentation of meticulous maintenance. Stock springs, no additional inserts, and Mulholland shock inserts installed August 1981 at 86K. Wheels are original 1972 14x6 slotted mags with 195/70x14 tires.

A don't have a full-on profile photo but the photo attached will give you an idea of the situation. Top of rear tire is about the same height as the lip of the rear fender. Top of front tire is 3" or more above the lip of the front fender.

New KYB shock inserts are going in, due to the age of the present shocks. New 15x7 Minilites and 195/70x15 Yokohamas are in the works as well due to the age of the current tires. They have 7K miles on them but they were installed in 1999.

New shock inserts will go in first and F/R height will be checked, but I'm sure we're going to have to lower the front in order for the car to look right. I'd rather lower the front than raise the back, although if there's a way to raise the back just a bit I would consider it.

Thanks again for all the experience and advice.

post-29282-14150828295763_thumb.jpg

post-29282-14150828296211_thumb.jpg

I had problems with frozen shocks when I first bought my Z and the tires were hard as rocks. I took careful measurements before and after replacing the shocks.

Measuring from the center, bottom, rear edge of the bumpers, after maintenance they were within 3/8" of each other. For mine, they measured 17 7/16" front and 17 1/16" at the rear. This is with a 1/16" of the measurements I took from Carl Beck's white car.

And yes the gap between the top of the tire and the lip of the fender well appears higher than todays normal.

You do not have a problem, just slightly saggy rear springs. THere is no way you have a 3" difference. Trim front springs to match, but no more than one coil with stock shocks, can't afford to remove much rebound stroke. Make sure you bump stops are in good shape too.

• 3 weeks later...