IGNORED

Buying my first z car, 71' 240z

patEOD92

Im buying a 71 240z some time next week, i have test drove/looked the car over and there is only one small rust spot on passenger rocker panel. There is A big CLUNK when i put the car into gear and the owner says that it needs a new U joint, Is this a common Problem? He has the new U joint to be put in the car. I am buying it for 3,700 so its understandable that there will be issues, just want to make sure im not getting worked over.

Edited by patEOD92

The best way that I know of is, secure the car on jack stands, tranny in neutral, hand brake off, crawl under the car, grab the rear of the drive shaft & push, pull, twist, then rotate it 1/4 turn & do it again etc. Then go to the front of the shaft & repeat the procedure. There should be no detectable movement other than rotational. While you're under there check out the axles the same way and take a sharp implement & stick the floorboards & check for rust. Check all four fenderwells & move the battery & check the frame rail,rear of the wheel well & the fire wall, Oh yeah, the rear sill plate under the hatch. The car sounds like a good find. The major item to check the car for is RUST. Usually where there are signs of a little rust there is more. Take your time & look it over well. Keep us posted. Send pics. Mark in Portland

Ill be sure to post some pics. The only thing thats really turned me off from this one is a radio and subwoofers they tried o put in it. I checked it over pretty well but ill be sure to get more in depth with it before i purchase it. Thanks for the advice.

Pat in nashville

Old Z's are well known to have a rear-end clunk that is caused by a broken differential mount - it is above the forward-facing "tail" of the diffy. The rubber insulator ages out over time and simply cracks open, allowing the diffy tail to rise and "clunk" under initial loading. This is an easy and low cost item to replace and should not be considered a deal breaker.