IGNORED

Aftermarket ECU Megasquirt Install

madkaw

Not really. The VW/Audi 1.8T injectors are a use a flat disc ditribition plate. This has twin laser etched holes to give a very wide spray pattern The pintle caps are special for these injectors. They have a very wide Bevel or countersink on them to allow for the spray pattern to " Fan out" with out hittiting the sides of the Pintle cap. Changing to a different style of Pintle cap may cause the spary to be disrupted. 

Here is a picture of the Bosch 1.8T pintle caps. Note the wide countersink on the base ( Brown pintle cap )  compared to a Narrow spray Bosch pintle cap:

1.8T Pintle cap:

New-Fuel-Injector-Pintle-Caps-Set-of-_1.

It's hard to see in this picture. But the Blue Bosch pintle caps are designed for a narrow spray pattern Note the subtle difference.

free-shipping-1000pieces-high-quality-Fu

Edited by Chickenman

As I recall, the ZX Pintle caps are much longer than the 1.8T caps. The ZX pintle caps will disrupt the spray pattern of the 1.8T injectors. 

Edit: This is an image I found on the Web of 280ZX injectors. The pintle cap is quite long. If the pintle caps you put on the Bosch 1.8T injectors look like these, the spray pattern will be severely disrupted. How bad  exactly, I don't know... But the spray pattern is going to hit the walls of the pintle cap and that can't be good. 

280ZX Injector picture:

57536_primary.jpg

12PINTLECAPS.JPG

Edited by Chickenman

• 1 month later...

Well I took Richards advice and put the proper pintle caps on the injectors. I did find out that the injectors I am using have a 18 degree spray pattern .  Not sure how that compares to stock.

All I know is that this engine runs as good as it ever has-

despite finding a valve nick on #1 bore ,

despite dropping the cam with towers attached from 4 feet in the air.

Despite replacing a cam tower that was nicked on its bearing surface from the drop. 

Despite shaving another 20 thou and not checking clearances 

despite guessing cam timing and throwing the cam in 6 degrees advanced.

and the list goes on

thankyou L gods 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Figured I'd update this thread( I have too many), but still very happy with my MS conversion. I actually think my tune has brought me close to the power levels I was running on triples . I am happy to have this kind of performance with just an N42 intake and my little amount of experience with MS. 

It's a steep learning curve , but there are folks that can help in this site and others to get someone going. Programmable ECU is a viable way of getting serious performance without switching to carbs ( for you guys with EFI Z's ) 

Can't thank Chickenman enough for his support . I owe him a couple more dinners - at least - but I will take care of him!