IGNORED

Potential & Low VIN!!

texasz

HI Carl S. (everyone)

A friend requested additional pictures of this car - Looks like it's had either a full front clip put on - or it was actually red to begin with. Rust in the frame rails under the floorboards - and in general seems to be pretty screwed up. I'd much rather pay $6,500.00 for an original, solid, rust free example to use as the basis for a full restoration. In the end, you'd save twice that much getting the car done.

I understand that the "buyer" backed out on the deal after inspecting the car.

Carl,

Wasn't #212 the orange car in Staunton VA that didn't sell at 2700+ with rusted out floors and a pile of spare NOS parts? I was thinking about looking at the car as it's only 60 miles from me, but when I saw it didn't meet the reserve at 2700+ I thought better of it.

If you wish, and the guy still has it, I can go look at it for someone if they are interested.

Originally posted by 59ghia

For all you Cali's, Isn't that plate number high for a '70 ? Starting number is "987" mine's a '72 with "705" just a thought on if it "really" is a '70.

No.

The car we are refering to has VIN #HLS30 000212

It is one of the first 500 240Z's imported. Mfg date was said to be 11/69

I don't know what you mean about :

Starting number is "987" mine's a '72 with "705"

All 240Z VIN #'s start w/ HLS30, then have the serial number. My 72 was mfg'd in 11/71 and is in the HLS30-55,xxx serial sequence

Originally posted by 59ghia

For all you Cali's, Isn't that plate number high for a '70 ? Starting number is "987" mine's a '72 with "705" just a thought on if it "really" is a '70.

the plate number could have nothing to do with the year of the vehicle. when I bought my Z 2 years ago, the original CA tags on the car were 338-VQR. they had expired in '95. no biggie, I have TX tags on the car now.

some states, like Wyoming, use the first number on the plate to identify the county that the car is registered in. for instance, any car registered in Laramie county (Cheyenne) will start with a 2.

bottom line: the tag number really says nothing about the model year of the car.

OH, I thought you were talking about the VIN plate of this car that we had been discussing throughout the thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In CA you can replace the License plate (doesn't happen automatically, you have to request it) when a car is sold to another person. You can also request to be issued a new plate at any time, you just have to pay extra fees to do so.

License plate numbers here in CA are not connected in any "offical" way to your location. A sequentially numbered pile of plates is sent to each DMV office for issue, but many are also issued from the main DMV in Sacramento via the mail.