IGNORED

Conversion to throttle cable - SU anchor point?

Jarvo2

For those who have converted away from the mechanical linkage over to a throttle cable, I'm curious what anchor point you used on your SU carbs. Specifically did you mount a throttle wheel to the linkage or did you create some other form of connection? I'm just starting to do my homework as I'm not thrilled with the mechanical linkage. Any suggestions/pictures you have would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dave, I wish I had taken better pics when I had the cable throttle up and working on my SU's but you might be able to see how I did it from the 3rd pic. The H shaped holder mounts to the intake manifold between the heat shield and the bottom of the air box. One of the advantages to cable throttle control besides the smooth action is it allows you the get rid of all that crap on the balance tube.

I have triples on the engine now and haven't got around to installing the cable linkage yet.

post-26437-14150827472989_thumb.jpg

post-26437-1415082747321_thumb.jpg

post-26437-14150827473426_thumb.jpg

Also, there are 2 possible problems you might run into, I certainly did.

I found a couple of weeks after installing the cable linkage that either the cable stretched or a combination of other parts settled and the throttle plates weren't opening fully anymore. After adjusting all was fine again and there was no more problems with that.

On the other end of that problem is the possibility of not having your gas pedal stop posistioned correctly and using the power of your foot and desire for speed to force the throttle plates too far.

It's easy to add a spacer on top of the gas pedal stop if you have to.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I went with the larger 3/8" size, although I think the SU shaft is a big larger, but I'm sure I can make it fit (possible grind down the throttle arm hole if required). There's also a lightweight on which has less material on it...same site. Enjoy!

• 6 months later...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69540[/ATTACH]

Where did you get the clean balance tube?

Still trying to figure out what the h-plate does too.

I am converting back to SUs from a Holley, so i have a cable, just need to connect it all.

I am sure wisdom from Jim (zKars) will help.

Thanks Dave - the blog entry really helps.

Just wondering if you considered attaching the L-bracket to the air cleaner instead. Also wonder about just grinding the ball off of the stock connector and attaching the cable to it.

I think the return to SUs will be fun :)

The air cleaner would have made for a much cleaner install, but I didn't want to drill into it, so I opted for the heat-shield. After a bit of re-engineering the mechanical linkage I swapped back to that and it seems to work pretty well. If anyone is interested in my setup (see picture above), make me an offer.