IGNORED

Thoughts on sacrificial anodes for frame rails.

Mark Maras

I remember Canadian Tire had a cathoidic protection device for sale a while ago.

I found this on their web site. Read the customer review. I think that will answer the question at hand.

Canadian Tire - CounterAct Electronic Rust Protection System customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

"I bought this device hoping it will help to prolong the life of my new Infinite G35S which already a 4 years old car by now. Two days after I installed this unit, its LED no longer blinks. Exchanged for a new one. 3 weeks later, I found a newly developed rust spot on the surface of the car. Called the owner of this counteract company. He confirmed that the unit will *not* help to prevent the rust from forming. It only delays a few more hours..."

Most of the other reviews are equally as negative and some are just hilarious to read. Especially the warranty related ones.

Edited by zKars

I read the reviews. As expected, some swear by them others swear at them. A question that arises in their use is continuity to all parts of the chassis or the lack there of. The only one I've seen installed is on a Scarab. It is driven on a very limited basis in dry weather and stored in a very dry shop. It came on the car so the owner doesn't know anything about it but he has left it on just in case it does work. There seems to be two types of these that supply a trickle of current through the chassis. Ruststop.net advertises a unit that adds sacrificial anodes to the system that are attached to the chassis and wired into the unit. Honestly, I don't know if this is an improvement or just more smoke and mirrors. I tend to think that adding anodes to the mix could improve it but I don't have the expertise to really know.

I don't plan on abandoning any rust removal or treatment of the conventional type, just want to try to improve on the longevity of my second Z. I still have my first Z, a Series 1, if anyone needs goodies from it.

Mark in Portland

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone.  I make sacrificial anodes for a living.  Anodes are used in a variety of applications.  Much of the information shared in this thread is incorrect.  However, as someone who has designed, installed, and understands anodes, as well as a fellow car enthusiast, I can tell you that you can't use anodes to protect your cars.  Anodes rely on a consistent electrolyte to function correctly.  The corrosive environment on a car doesn't offer that. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the update. The salt water, as I understand it, is the electrolyte in this scenario. Would anodes protect the chassis, temporarily, as long as everything was wet from salted roads, or perhaps a life at the beach? I'm sure ratio of salt to water is a consideration but if it were concentrated enough to act as an electrolyte how, far apart would the anodes have to be. Anyone?

Mark

Thanks for the update. The salt water, as I understand it, is the electrolyte in this scenario. Would anodes protect the chassis, temporarily, as long as everything was wet from salted roads, or perhaps a life at the beach? I'm sure ratio of salt to water is a consideration but if it were concentrated enough to act as an electrolyte how, far apart would the anodes have to be. Anyone?

Mark

No, the electrolyte is not consistent enough for the anode to offer meaningful protection.