IGNORED

Alternator Choices

Victor Laury

It's obvious that My alt in my 72 is on it's way out. Would I benefit from a slighty higher output alt? VickyBrit offers 2 choices. but I'd like it to look close to original. I could just get one of my old units rebuilt.

If you think that paragraph is confusing, you should see the mess in my head!

An even better question is does the amp meter still work correctly if you install an internally regulated aftermarket alternator?

I am strongly considering putting a G.M. style alternator on my Z (If I ever get it put back together.) I am not fond of the externally regulated alternators of the early Z car era. I had a lot of trouble with an old Volvo and its rickety charging system.

I really love modern alternators, but don't want to loose the usefulness of the gages.

After my alternator destroyed itself one Friday night before an outing, my local auto electrician offered to fix it for $A250 and maybe it would work or alternatively, he could install a Ford Laser internally regulated unit for $A150.

I went with the Ford model. Fitted nicely and has higher output and the amp meter works as well.:cross-eye

Since you are in LA...I would just go down to my local AutoZone etc and buy a re-man 60amp. They usually come with a lifetime warranty. Did the same thing in 97 with my 72 up in Seattle. I must have gone thru 3 of them before I got a "good" one but I did not pay any shipping and the price was very right

I have posted the differences here before in detail.The short version is the lower amp is 240.The higher amp is 280.I would go 280.I don't think there is an external difference.No problem with the gauge.It's the perfect swap.One of the main reasons I like the 280 unit is more were made and they are newer.Therefore the the reman. units have have been through the reman cycle less times .They are usually more available and sometimes less expensive.Make sure yours doesn't just need brushes.Thats a simple fix and you don't have to take the unit apart.

appologies to all, my last on the subject.

Biker

I saw a picture of an IOWA class passing through Panama (lock with 10 inches width to spare) the qoute from a mate was the Iowa's were designed to pass through the Panama canal for fleet change over. My comment was thats something you cant do with a Collins class " go through the Panama lock" my mates responce was why? I answered it was designed in Australia , it would never get to Panama.

Cheers

Steve:classic: