IGNORED

Z CON 2014 San Diego CA

Montezuma

I want to chime in on this. I produced the 2010 car show in Nashville and was associate director of the ZCCA in 2009 and 2010. I have never been to the MSA event. The ZCCA is a huge car club involving scores of Z-car owners and enthusiasts all over the world. The annual convention is several days of activities involving Z-cars and related Datsun / Nissan cars. It encompasses several activities with cars; it is not just a one-afternoon car show. There are rally and racing events, motor tours, and social events for the participants to get to know each other and share experiences. One of the most important things is for the host club to show off their special city and region and for the participants to experience something new, travel...with their cars! That is why the convention is in a different place every year and that is why there is simply no comparison to other outstanding Z-car events.

For instance:

If not for the 2004 convention in Long Beach I wouldn't have met Mr. Katayama, Len Welch, Katsuhiko Endo, John Morton, Brian Long, and many, many new friends including Lai Mee from Hooter's. I wouldn't have paid extra for a heavy suitcase full of car parts!

If not for the 2005 convention in Rochester, I wouldn't have driven Watkins Glen and paid extra for that heavy suitcase.

If not for the 2006 convention, I wouldn't have driven the new 350Z r-tune. I wouldn't have trophied the hardest rally I have ever run. And I had two suitcases to ship home from Dallas. Oh! And then there was that evening with the Japanese guys touring the gentlemen's clubs!

If not for the 2008 convention in Cleveland, I wouldn't have driven Lime Rock, experienced the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, or sampled Nissan's new GT-R.

San Antonio in 2009 was just over the top. I met Steve Millen, drove a great rally through hill country, saw the Alamo, found a really great junk yard, and I gotta mention Amanda the Z1 Motorsports model. Whew!

The annual convention is so much more than a car show. Go to San Diego - have fun - give my best to the Hooter's girls - enjoy clowning around with all your Z-car friends.

• 3 months later...

So is anyone headed down to San Diego Tuesday from Northern California? We have several folks from the Sacramento Datsun Owners Club heading down Monday and Tuesday with a meet in L.A. Tuesday around noon. From There we'll all caravan down to Z-Con in San Diego and plan to be there before 5pm.

If anyone is planning on driving down, either day lets see if we can get some groups together! I'm leaving from Sacramento early Tuesday morning (5am).

Eric

If not for the 2008 convention in Cleveland, I wouldn't have driven Lime Rock, experienced the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, or sampled Nissan's new GT-R.
Well, Lime Rock Park is a little way out from Cleveland (or Ohio!) but you get around, I'll give you that. If not for the 2008 convention, I would not have met you or Mr. Stokes, or Fred Jordan, who jumped into my car at the last second before going on-track at Mid-Ohio, and sat with me at breakfast once or twice at the hotel.)

Too bad Mr. K. is (leaving the Z scene) but I hear he gets visitors from Ohio occasionally. ;)

No Track Day @ ZCON is a surprise,has there ever been a National Z Convention without a Track Day? Car shows are on ever corner, track day is the reason to go to ZCon. ��Z

Track Day/Autocross is on Saturday along with the People's Choice Car Show at Qualcomm stadium. That will be a great event; Check out the racers and the cool cars all on the same day. It's tailgate time! Also, Race Legal will be hosting the Z's Friday night at Qualcomm if Saturday is not enough for you. You can still sign up for all of these events at the website. ZCON 2014

Edited by motorman7

post-24191-14150829658181_thumb.jpg

Kats got People's Choice Award for best Datsun with his Z432.

Lots of great cars. I took about 100 pictures before the battery went dead (fortunately at the end of the show) but my ISP is too slow right now, so can't upload any more tonight. More soon.

Here's a link to our gallery where you can post your photos, even in bulk (zip file). 2014 National Z Convention - Classic Zcar Club Photo Gallery

If you don't like the interface please let me know and I'll send you my address and you can send me a memory stick (or CD) with the images.

FYI, the upload photo button is at the top menu bar.

These photos will migrate when we launch our new site soon. :)